LEFT TURN ON RED LOCATIONS
- Both streets are one-way
- You come to a complete STOP before turning
- There are no pedestrians or cross-traffic
- There aren’t any NO TURN ON RED signs posted.
- Going from side streets into Tremont. From Bromfield, Temple, West and there might be another one.
- at the light turning left onto Washington Street from Avery Street (at the Ritz), there is a sign that says “left turn on red”.
- After the off ramp from 93 to Storrow Drive and Cambridge. Bear right toward Somerville and the Museum of Science and at the next intersection sometimes the light is flashing, sometimes it’s red. The street name is Nashua Street and it is in a turn towardsLeverett Circle.
THE FINANCIAL DISTRICT:
- From Devonshire Street onto Milk Street
- From Milk Street onto Pearl Street
BACK BAY and the SOUTH END:
- From Boylston St onto Charles St, where it cuts through Boston Common
- Clarendon, Exeter, Glouchester eastbound at Comm Ave and Boylston. Berkeley, Dartmouth, Fairfield, Hereford westbound at Newbury, Comm Ave. and Beacon. (I can’t think of any that have ‘No Turn on Red’ signs.)
- Marlborough Street left onto Berkeley to connect with Storrow Drive.
- From Dartmouth onto Huntington, in front of the Copley Place entrance.
Driving from the west into Kenmore Square, at the eastern end of the bus station is a one-way cross street. Left turns on red into this street, and again onto Commonwealth Avenue westbound would be permissible. Also, if you proceed further eastbound on Commonwealth Avenue, the cross-street that leads to the Storrow Drive on-ramp presents a similar opportunity.
From Sutherland Road onto Englewood Ave
From Robertson Street onto Willard Street. (It’s alongside the Expressway, past Home Depot.)
- I forget the street names but its downtown, right between the old courthouse and the new one.
- Southerly on North Warren – easterly onto Belmont.
- From DeWolfe Street onto Mt. Auburn St.
- From Holyoke Street onto Mass Ave (in front of Holyoke Center)
- Mt. Auburn onto JFK Street (in front of “Please Go Away” travel).
- Approaching from the west (Mass Av), at the left turn to go under the bridge which leads to Cambridge St.
From Memorial Drive in front of MIT. There are 4 new lights there – 2 each on westbound and the eastbound sides.
From Storrow Drive service road onto Western Av
- Cabot St to Exchange St
- Exchange St to Center St
Troy St @ Bedford St
Ocean Street (I believe) is a legal left turn to Main St. It is marked.
From the Galen (Washington) St. bridge over the Pike onto the Pike entrance
11/12/13 UPDATE: Although Newton lacks the statutory authority to control those intersections, the Selectmen nevertheless flipped the engineer’s recommendation explicitly posting left on red permission, to left on red prohibition!
Oakland St and Salem St near Pure Hockey. Left turn goes into Medford Sq. Right turn heads to the Rt 60/I-93 rotary.
Summer Street and Cutter Avenue, just east of Davis Square, the city of Somerville has actually erected a sign telling people that they can turn left on red.
Westfield, MA just completed a new bridge downtown with new traffic routing. RT 10/202 is one way as you exit the bridge southbound. The left turn onto 10/202 northbound is a legal left turn on red according to the Chief of police.
- Northbound Southbridge St at College Sq/I-290: left turn to reverse direction on Southbridge St or go west on I-290.
- Millbrook St. /Gold Star Blvd.