Home Forums Massachusetts Motorists Issues “Zero-Tolerance” Traffic Enforcement Grant in Mass.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lumpulus 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

The Traffic Enforcement Grant Program currently being operated in Massachusetts seems to take away a police officer’s discretion regarding whether to issue a warning or a citation for civil infractions. It also seems to encourage arrests in discretionary situations. Specifically, the grant program states as follows: “We urge your department to take a zero-tolerance approach to enforcement when participating in the mobilizations.” It also states “Departments are required to conduct a minimum of three documented stops per hour; if less than the historic statewide average of 2.5 stops per hour, the EOPSS/HSD reserves the right to end program participation for the next mobilization or for the remainder of FFY 2010, through September 30, 2010.” Failure to “take a zero-tolerance approach” and make the required 3 traffic stops per hour may result in sanctions. “Non-participation or non-compliance with performance measures may result in contract suspension, termination or non-reimbursement of mobilization expenses or equipment purchases.” The grant program materials state further that “Departments are encouraged to submit a signed a zero-tolerance policy for enforcement during all the mobilizations.”

A motorist who is cited by an officer working under this grant program may want to raise these issues in court.

Snickers
    Participant

This is messed-up. Zero-Tolerance has been taken too far in this country. Zero-Tolerance must be stopped!!!

Anonymous

This is messed-up. Zero-Tolerance has been taken too far in this country. Zero-Tolerance must be stopped!!!

Lumpulus
    Participant

Sounds like a quota system to me as well.

In the Massachusetts town I live in the Police Chief just put out a press release saying basically,” Don’t get mad if we respond slowly, OR NOT AT ALL, to certain types of calls, due to budget cuts.

Nothing like saying to criminals” You can come here and commit your crimes!”

Anonymous

Sounds like a quota system to me as well.

In the Massachusetts town I live in the Police Chief just put out a press release saying basically,” Don’t get mad if we respond slowly, OR NOT AT ALL, to certain types of calls, due to budget cuts.

Nothing like saying to criminals” You can come here and commit your crimes!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.