Home Forums Georgia Motorists Issues Super Speeder Law Robbing people

This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  jhskw 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Mark H Freedman
    Participant

My son is a student and was in Houston County when he received a ticket. He was unable to go back to area because it was a long way from home.
    Therefore he did not go to court and the fine was paid. I specifically asked if everything was taken care of. The DDS person did not mention any add’l fine or that any other payment would be required for him to retain his license. The person just told him he should be ok.

Then 2 weeks later, we received a notice that could have easily got lost because it was not certified or anything that $200 more needs to be paid
    by 11/5/14 to avoid his license from being suspended.

This law is unconstitutional and allows DDS to basically steal from people. It’s bad enough that insurance companies are allowed to charge more along with paying a hefty fine. Georgia is clearly not a state that cares about people: just feeding greediness and padding someone’s pockets;

This should not be legal. With any other transaction people are notified about fees/cost. DDS does not give people any prior notice. With this law more money is just demanded and people are threatened! This is a way that a state agency is allowed to bully people!

Anna Oshin
    Participant

This collection of $200 from the DMV in Georgia after a fine has been paid is theft. They are stealing frm innocent people and have a process that makes it confusing to understand if your not from the state and not knowledgeable about their laws. I was in totaly disbelief when I called the DMV, they actually admitted to the disconnect in information. These are things that shouldn’t happened in a civilized country with the technology the way it is.

I was on a trip from Florida to visit a college where my daughter is interested in going to. After this, I prefer that she choose one of the other colleges on her list. Lucky for me, she will probably not be in Georgia for school. This experience has jaded us.

I paid the fine, and got $200 on top of that stolen from me from the DMV.

I have no doubt that they make it obscure so that people will assume it’s an error and then lose they’re license and have to pay even more to reinstate it.

ocruz
    Participant

This collection of $200 from the DMV in Georgia after a fine has been paid is theft. They are stealing frm innocent people and have a process that makes it confusing to understand if your not from the state and not knowledgeable about their laws. I was in totaly disbelief when I called the DMV, they actually admitted to the disconnect in information. These are things that shouldn’t happened in a civilized country with the technology the way it is.

I was on a trip from Florida to visit a college where my daughter is interested in going to. After this, I prefer that she choose one of the other colleges on her list. Lucky for me, she will probably not be in Georgia for school. This experience has jaded us.

I paid the fine, and got $200 on top of that stolen from me from the DMV.

I have no doubt that they make it obscure so that people will assume it’s an error and then lose they’re license and have to pay even more to reinstate it.

George Murphy
    Participant

The whole super speeder fine Is Bull to me!
    I was an out of state driver Driving to TN with my 2 yr old daughter. She was asleep, so I was minding my own business, listening to music enjoying my trip Until Out of Nowhere I get pulled over.. it was around 6 am In Mcintosh (something like that)county. The officer kept a smile on his face but was being such an A$&! He asked where I was in a hurry to get too? I politely stated “Me & my daughter are going to visit my parents in TN There’s no Hurry Really I was just keeping up with traffic, why do you ask?” He said Well “I Clocked you doing 94 in a 70″ Now Come on!! That’s a little extreme when I had Atleast 5 other cars right along with me, But because I was behind the others and driving a Black 2010 Pontiac G6 with my Country music playing and yes i had the dealer tags still on because I had just got it 3 days prior. Well I Must have stood out to him i guess! I was mad & Upset so I stated to him ” I admit I was speeding sir but I looked straight down at the speedometer as soon as I seen your lights on me, I was at 82 maybe 83MPH & Hadn’t hit the brakes at All!.. He decided to then ask if I was trying to be funny & proceeded to tell me how his Radar Gun Works then said Yes you may have been with other cars but im only one officer I cant pull 3 cars at 1 time!!! So he admitted He just picked me out of the bunch!!!! I then gave him all my paperwork and said Ill take my ticket now I wouldnt want to keep you from doing your job then… The ticket had no price on it, So I asked him how much it was for He had no idea & told me to go to ezcourtpay.com So I did later that day & it hadnt been processed It took 72 hours before I could finally pull it up! So then I found it was 215$ due in 30 days….. Well needless to say I cut my trip with my family short & had to get back to work to make up the ticket $. Luckily I was able to make it and thought it was all behind me….. Until I received a Super speeder Fine For another 200$ All because I paid the ticket..(which is admitting to guilt) I thought tix were our punishment for speeding, seat belt, broken headlight ect. So if we pay the tix what gives them the right to punish us more???? Im a 23 yr old Single mother, I Pay all my bills, Take care of my Daughter, & I’m in School for Radiology. I obviously have to pay or lose my Lic. I Cant Afford that!!! Idk I just dont see How can someone who works Hard & Just wants to have the best for her & her child Get Used and Taken Advantage of??? It shouldnt be LEGAL!!! & If you call for info They Cant explain anything about it, To even try & help you understand SMH NEVER WILL I EVER GO TO GA IF I DONT HAVE TO!!!

Steffanyd15
    Participant

The whole super speeder fine Is Bull to me!
    I was an out of state driver Driving to TN with my 2 yr old daughter. She was asleep, so I was minding my own business, listening to music enjoying my trip Until Out of Nowhere I get pulled over.. it was around 6 am In Mcintosh (something like that)county. The officer kept a smile on his face but was being such an A$&! He asked where I was in a hurry to get too? I politely stated “Me & my daughter are going to visit my parents in TN There’s no Hurry Really I was just keeping up with traffic, why do you ask?” He said Well “I Clocked you doing 94 in a 70″ Now Come on!! That’s a little extreme when I had Atleast 5 other cars right along with me, But because I was behind the others and driving a Black 2010 Pontiac G6 with my Country music playing and yes i had the dealer tags still on because I had just got it 3 days prior. Well I Must have stood out to him i guess! I was mad & Upset so I stated to him ” I admit I was speeding sir but I looked straight down at the speedometer as soon as I seen your lights on me, I was at 82 maybe 83MPH & Hadn’t hit the brakes at All!.. He decided to then ask if I was trying to be funny & proceeded to tell me how his Radar Gun Works then said Yes you may have been with other cars but im only one officer I cant pull 3 cars at 1 time!!! So he admitted He just picked me out of the bunch!!!! I then gave him all my paperwork and said Ill take my ticket now I wouldnt want to keep you from doing your job then… The ticket had no price on it, So I asked him how much it was for He had no idea & told me to go to ezcourtpay.com So I did later that day & it hadnt been processed It took 72 hours before I could finally pull it up! So then I found it was 215$ due in 30 days….. Well needless to say I cut my trip with my family short & had to get back to work to make up the ticket $. Luckily I was able to make it and thought it was all behind me….. Until I received a Super speeder Fine For another 200$ All because I paid the ticket..(which is admitting to guilt) I thought tix were our punishment for speeding, seat belt, broken headlight ect. So if we pay the tix what gives them the right to punish us more???? Im a 23 yr old Single mother, I Pay all my bills, Take care of my Daughter, & I’m in School for Radiology. I obviously have to pay or lose my Lic. I Cant Afford that!!! Idk I just dont see How can someone who works Hard & Just wants to have the best for her & her child Get Used and Taken Advantage of??? It shouldnt be LEGAL!!! & If you call for info They Cant explain anything about it, To even try & help you understand SMH NEVER WILL I EVER GO TO GA IF I DONT HAVE TO!!!

John Drennan
    Participant

This is so much bs
    First ticket in 16 years
    What a grand screwing and didn’t even get kissed!
    This is as bad as getting fined for no health ins.
    Worse ! , at least you were warned about the health ins. fine!
    How is GA greeting by on this. No other state is.
    Steve
    Saamss@att.net

Stevana
    Participant

This is so much bs
    First ticket in 16 years
    What a grand screwing and didn’t even get kissed!
    This is as bad as getting fined for no health ins.
    Worse ! , at least you were warned about the health ins. fine!
    How is GA greeting by on this. No other state is.
    Steve
    Saamss@att.net

The entire city limits of Ashburn (pronounced Ass-burn) GA is designed as a speed trap. Look at a map of this town . The city limits were extended and widened to take in several miles of I-75, the widest part of the city limits – where there are no houses or buildings, just the interstate highway. This was done after the super speeder law was passed in Georgia when they saw the windfall of fines awaiting them. They get 93% of their fine revenue, $1.6 Million/year, or $390 per resident, from moving violations along this corridor. This is how the police department funds its budget. Even the judges are paid from this bucket. The whole town is a speed trap machine from top to bottom.

This police department is more dangerous to the public than any terrorist cell. They force you off the highway onto the shoulder and force you to get out of the car and walk along 70+ MPH traffic – even if you are handicapped. Then it is up to you to get back into traffic as best you can. This is highway robbery and reckless public endangerment! They also do not care that you could pick up metal road debris from the road shoulder in a tire that could cause a high speed blowout, killing you.

You will not pass by this bait shop of a town, with only 4,200 people and their ridiculous fire ant festival, on I-75 just north of Tifton in south Georgia without seeing flashing police lights. They operate 24 hours a day in both directions.Some day they will surely cause the death of a family of tourists headed to Florida. When they do it will be premeditated murder. Ashburn is a scourge on the good name of the State of Georgia.

Some people have begun fighting back in a peaceful protest by yellow-staining (from The Caine Mutiny) the highway and city streets. They put yellow paint in balloons and throw them on the highway to warn other motorists about the speed trap town and to show the cowardice of this city! They can paint the whole town yellow for all I care! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY

muley101
    Participant

The entire city limits of Ashburn (pronounced Ass-burn) GA is designed as a speed trap. Look at a map of this town . The city limits were extended and widened to take in several miles of I-75, the widest part of the city limits – where there are no houses or buildings, just the interstate highway. This was done after the super speeder law was passed in Georgia when they saw the windfall of fines awaiting them. They get 93% of their fine revenue, $1.6 Million/year, or $390 per resident, from moving violations along this corridor. This is how the police department funds its budget. Even the judges are paid from this bucket. The whole town is a speed trap machine from top to bottom.

This police department is more dangerous to the public than any terrorist cell. They force you off the highway onto the shoulder and force you to get out of the car and walk along 70+ MPH traffic – even if you are handicapped. Then it is up to you to get back into traffic as best you can. This is highway robbery and reckless public endangerment! They also do not care that you could pick up metal road debris from the road shoulder in a tire that could cause a high speed blowout, killing you.

You will not pass by this bait shop of a town, with only 4,200 people and their ridiculous fire ant festival, on I-75 just north of Tifton in south Georgia without seeing flashing police lights. They operate 24 hours a day in both directions.Some day they will surely cause the death of a family of tourists headed to Florida. When they do it will be premeditated murder. Ashburn is a scourge on the good name of the State of Georgia.

Some people have begun fighting back in a peaceful protest by yellow-staining (from The Caine Mutiny) the highway and city streets. They put yellow paint in balloons and throw them on the highway to warn other motorists about the speed trap town and to show the cowardice of this city! They can paint the whole town yellow for all I care! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY

Kate Mesic
    Participant

I may have been speeding if I was then everybody around me was too I was going along with the traffic. I fine it’s safer than causing a bottle neck. This is BS I want my day in court. I also was pulled over in Ashburn, GA Turner County and I will not be stopping in that county again to buy anything.

Ed Hensley
    Participant

I may have been speeding if I was then everybody around me was too I was going along with the traffic. I fine it’s safer than causing a bottle neck. This is BS I want my day in court. I also was pulled over in Ashburn, GA Turner County and I will not be stopping in that county again to buy anything.

jhskw
    Participant

I don’t live in Georgia; I live near Chattanooga (which, for those of you who don’t know, is right on the GA line), but I’m in Georgia a lot. What brings me here is what happened to my uncle, who lives in Alpharetta. I was with him last month when he was stopped for going 87 in a 70 zone on Interstate 85 near Lawrenceville. He, of course, admitted he was speeding and then paid the ticket about a week later. Then about a week after that, he gets this letter telling him that per the Super Speeder law, because he was going over 85, he had to pay an extra $200. Then I hear from a cousin of mine that this just happened to last year. He was stopped for going 88 in a 65 zone on I-285, and had the same thing happen to him. What concerns me here is I drive on I-75 in Catoosa and Whitfield Counties often, and when there’s not much traffic, it’s not uncommon for people to go 85-90; I’ll admit it’s happened to me a few times (accidentally). I’m not all that concerned about getting stopped, as I overall obey traffic laws and keep an eye out for cops, but this law is just, like everyone has basically said, a ripoff scam; what pisses me off even more is how the cops don’t tell you about it when they stop you. Anybody interested in protesting it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.