Home Forums Colorado Motorists Issues SmartStart IID 'ABORT:BYPASS'

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  dclow 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Last year I got stopped for my first and only traffic violation. Unfortunately it happened to be a DUI in Colorado.
    Even though the judge tossed out my case, I still got screwed by the Colorado DMV which is requiring me to have an IID for 2 years.
    How screwed up is that??

I’ve had the SmartStart 20/20 in my truck for over 8 months now, I really haven’t had an issue with it until this morning.
    Truck and IID spent the night outside and it was roughly 30 degrees this morning when I went to start it.

It sat at the “WAIT ####” for several minutes, then “BLOW”. I blew into it like normal then it started beeping at me.
    It then gave me the message “ABORT:BYPASS” or something similar then went back to “WAIT ####”
    After a few minutes the siren started going off while it was still at the “WAIT ####”

I turned the key back into the off position and unplugged the IID. Plugged it back in and it sat at “WAIT ####” for a few more minutes before “BLOW”
    I blew into it and it passed.

I then checked my Violations using the #3 option and all my remaining violations are there EXCEPT the “bypass start viol” which was down one. (All the others say 3 remaining but “bypass start viol” says 2 remaining)

I called the SmartStart number but they were unhelpful and basically said “a violation is a violation”
    Anybody else have an issue like this regarding the “bypass violations”?

Anonymous

I never had an issue when I had the 20/20. But I would suggest that you unplug the unit and take the head into your house at night. It will keep it warm and much easier to start on those cold mornings. Just make sure you wait until after the 2 minute “re-start phase” after you shut your car down to unplug it just in case.

The IID is part of the civil portion of the case. Your criminal aspect got thrown out but its harder for the civil portion to go away.

Bliddy Boh
    Participant

I never had an issue when I had the 20/20. But I would suggest that you unplug the unit and take the head into your house at night. It will keep it warm and much easier to start on those cold mornings. Just make sure you wait until after the 2 minute “re-start phase” after you shut your car down to unplug it just in case.

The IID is part of the civil portion of the case. Your criminal aspect got thrown out but its harder for the civil portion to go away.

tommy1
    Participant

I have the 20/20 as well, and got an abort bypass….thought it was a violation, called Smartstart and it was no violation, just another abort. I did have an instance the other day where I got an abort while driving and it went into the wait mode for two or three minuites,which it had never done before, and I only had a minuite and a half to blow when prompted…so I guess if it would have stayed in wait mode for another minute I guess I would have gotten a violation…sounds like what happened to you…this was the first near problem I’ve had with mine since I got it a year ago. Sucks, definitely equipment malfunction, don’t hear of them too often but I guess they do happen…sucks, but good thing you blew and passed…that should count for something, hopefully you have a camera, that might help too. Good Luck!!!

Anonymous

I have the 20/20 as well, and got an abort bypass….thought it was a violation, called Smartstart and it was no violation, just another abort. I did have an instance the other day where I got an abort while driving and it went into the wait mode for two or three minuites,which it had never done before, and I only had a minuite and a half to blow when prompted…so I guess if it would have stayed in wait mode for another minute I guess I would have gotten a violation…sounds like what happened to you…this was the first near problem I’ve had with mine since I got it a year ago. Sucks, definitely equipment malfunction, don’t hear of them too often but I guess they do happen…sucks, but good thing you blew and passed…that should count for something, hopefully you have a camera, that might help too. Good Luck!!!

ninapayan
    Participant

Draeger Ignition Interlocks consistently work. You can go to for a location near you.

Anonymous

Draeger Ignition Interlocks consistently work. You can go to for a location near you.

t0fu
    Participant

Well hopefully when I bring it in to get calibrated next week the tech will be able to shed some light on the issue.

It’s still showing a “Bypass violation” and Violations Remaining “2”

Anonymous

Well hopefully when I bring it in to get calibrated next week the tech will be able to shed some light on the issue.

It’s still showing a “Bypass violation” and Violations Remaining “2”

t0fu
    Participant

Update:

I got my IID calibrated and asked the tech about the issue. He said sometimes the newer firmware screws up so he just reset it for me.

Anonymous

Update:

I got my IID calibrated and asked the tech about the issue. He said sometimes the newer firmware screws up so he just reset it for me.

dclow
    Participant

i have a smart start as of dec 2012.it is like being in prison .the stress is unreal .i have only got it started 2x in 3 wks .i’am afraid to go to the gym movies
    you have to think twice as to where you are going. i’am afraid to pick up my daughter to go the mall .i’am hoping to ask the court for 6 months insted of a year.

Anonymous

i have a smart start as of dec 2012.it is like being in prison .the stress is unreal .i have only got it started 2x in 3 wks .i’am afraid to go to the gym movies
    you have to think twice as to where you are going. i’am afraid to pick up my daughter to go the mall .i’am hoping to ask the court for 6 months insted of a year.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.