Home Forums North Carolina Motorists Issues Required Ignition Interlock (in NC) Question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Catherine 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Vince Parra
    Participant

My (serious) error but there is a good chance that I will be faced with driving with a required ignition interlock (breath test). I am trying to anticipate how this works and there are some real horror stories out there.

I am married (no kids) and we have two cars. It would seem that one of these interlock things would require any driver to do the breath thing to get the vehicle going, etc. My wife didn’t do this so I hate to put her through it. And I am assuming that there is no (legal) alternative (at least in NC). Is that correct?

Thanks.

dave

Stacey DeLoach
    Participant

Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I have two months left with my Interlock. I have done everything by the book, because I must get this nightmare out of my car! When I say by the book, I mean never tempting fate with drinking, and never ever having anyone else blow in it. I even stay with the car when I have to get work done on it, because I do not know if a mechanic has had a beer at lunchtime, or had something to eat (a HUGE list!!!) that will register a false positive. I have had quite a few of those, and have to pay $ for them each time, but it is not out of me doing something on purpose to try to circumvent the device.

My understanding is you have to have them on all vehicles registered in your name.I’m not sure if being married means you have to have them on all cars, even if your name isn’t on them both. Whatever the law is, don’t tempt fate by driving a vehicle that doesn’t have an interlock. There are people who get by without getting caught, but to me it is not worth the risk! I know a guy who borrowed his gf’s car and got by with it for 11 months, and two weeks before his sentence was over he was pulled over, the process started all over again.

I think the Monitech company, or DMV can give you the answer about if your wifes car is in her name only, she doesn’t have to have the device in her car. Hopefully she won’t b/c as difficult as it will be for you to get through the program, it will be doubly difficult with the X factor of someoe else blowing and maybe had eaten a cheeseburger and the results get downloaded to DMV.

The best way to deal with these monstrosities is, keep cases of water in the car. Never be in the car without water. Swish with water every time you get into the car. Try not to eat anything in the car. This is difficult for me because I travel by car a lot for work, but oddly enough, I do get hungry sometimes and have to eat. Often I am in a hurry trying to get everything done. I try to eat things that have not caused a problem before, but sometimes, just one small change in the ingredients causes false positive = $35 and DMV download. Aside from obvious things such as “special sauces” cooking sherry/wine does *not cook off enough to not register falsely = $35 and DMV download. Anything creamy at all b/c of xanthum gum = mild fermentation = $35 and DMV download. Overripe pear = mild fermentation = $35 and DMV download. All of the above remnants in the mouth will be quickly gone with a swish of water. Also, don’t keep hand wipes in the car at all. I knew to be careful with them of course but once had an emergency and my passenger dropped one on my devise tip, and I didn’t realize it = $35 and DMV download.

Catherine
    Participant

Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I have two months left with my Interlock. I have done everything by the book, because I must get this nightmare out of my car! When I say by the book, I mean never tempting fate with drinking, and never ever having anyone else blow in it. I even stay with the car when I have to get work done on it, because I do not know if a mechanic has had a beer at lunchtime, or had something to eat (a HUGE list!!!) that will register a false positive. I have had quite a few of those, and have to pay $ for them each time, but it is not out of me doing something on purpose to try to circumvent the device.

My understanding is you have to have them on all vehicles registered in your name.I’m not sure if being married means you have to have them on all cars, even if your name isn’t on them both. Whatever the law is, don’t tempt fate by driving a vehicle that doesn’t have an interlock. There are people who get by without getting caught, but to me it is not worth the risk! I know a guy who borrowed his gf’s car and got by with it for 11 months, and two weeks before his sentence was over he was pulled over, the process started all over again.

I think the Monitech company, or DMV can give you the answer about if your wifes car is in her name only, she doesn’t have to have the device in her car. Hopefully she won’t b/c as difficult as it will be for you to get through the program, it will be doubly difficult with the X factor of someoe else blowing and maybe had eaten a cheeseburger and the results get downloaded to DMV.

The best way to deal with these monstrosities is, keep cases of water in the car. Never be in the car without water. Swish with water every time you get into the car. Try not to eat anything in the car. This is difficult for me because I travel by car a lot for work, but oddly enough, I do get hungry sometimes and have to eat. Often I am in a hurry trying to get everything done. I try to eat things that have not caused a problem before, but sometimes, just one small change in the ingredients causes false positive = $35 and DMV download. Aside from obvious things such as “special sauces” cooking sherry/wine does *not cook off enough to not register falsely = $35 and DMV download. Anything creamy at all b/c of xanthum gum = mild fermentation = $35 and DMV download. Overripe pear = mild fermentation = $35 and DMV download. All of the above remnants in the mouth will be quickly gone with a swish of water. Also, don’t keep hand wipes in the car at all. I knew to be careful with them of course but once had an emergency and my passenger dropped one on my devise tip, and I didn’t realize it = $35 and DMV download.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.