Home Forums Speed Limits & Driving in America Re: Newsletter 210: Some Myths Just Won't Die

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  tgordo49 5 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

tgordo49
    Participant

This is in response to an excellent NMA article about the folly of thinking that “55” saves gas.
    In 1986 I bought my first brand-new car, a Mercury Sable with the hard-to-find electronic display dash. Turned out to be a huge mistake, of course; the first model year for an American car is really just the beta-test version, and it had too many defects to live beyond a couple of years, even with lots of time in the shop. But I digress.
    For the first time, I could see a readout of my MPG, but over time and instantaneously. It didn’t take me long to find that for this cutting-edge car, with a powerful fuel-injected engine, lockup & overdrive transaxle, and very slippery low-drag design, the best MPG was betweeen 74 and 77 MPH! 55 mph was WAY down the curve and cost me $$$ as well as time.
    Every car is going to have a different $/mile sweet-spot based on many, many design and environmental factors, but “55” was designed to save with big 1060’s boats with “3 on the tree”, not modern sleek OD cars.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.