Home Forums Drunk/Drugged Driving laws and enforcement Problems with the Smart Start ignition interlock device

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  smartstartpetition 2 months ago.

• Author

Ronald Farneski
    Participant

My husband got a DUI and was required to have an IID put in. We had it put into my van as that’s the vehicle he drives. One morning we got into the truck, me in the drivers seat, and said ok i guess i better learn how to use this thing because my car is not reliable and sometimes i need to take the van. Lo and behold I blew, I hummed and get a retry message. Well after about 16 attempts, we switched seats, he blew and off we went. Here we are on month 10 and I still can’t drive my own van. That is complaint #1
    Complaint #2
    The van needed to go to the garage for service. I sent Smart Start an email about a week ahead of time letting them know the date it would be in for service. I then made a followup phone call the night before (i never did receive an email back) and the gentleman on the phone said to have the mechanic call him and they would go through the steps to disconnect and reconnect. Everything went without a hitch until the 7 violations from the Motor Vehicle Arrived. Another month, another month, another month x 7. I got on the phone at their ¨fastest way to get a response¨ at 1-800-880-3394. (see complaint #3) After being on hold for over an hour, I tell her what happened, and she said that I need to fax over the statement from the Mechanic and that the Motor Vehicle Department has to review it. After a month, they got dismissed. Point is it should not have happened from the get go.
    Complaint #3
    Emails do not get returned and the average wait time when you call their 1-800 number has never been less than 45 minutes.
    Complaint #4
    Today 1/9/2015 the weather here this morning is 14 degrees. We try to start the van and he blows, starts it, but the thing won’t recognize that the van is running so is forced to blow every 2 minutes during my 51 minute wait to smart start in 14 degree weather. Can’t drive it in fear of violation or causing an accident pulling over every two minutes in the snow to get to the place that installed it (which wasn’t even open yet). Finally I get someone on the phone after 51 minutes, she says ¨I talked to the technician and he said you must have a faulty battery¨ I explained to her that because this thing drains the battery so much (complaint #5) that we have the van plugged into a battery charger every night that the temperatures are below freezing or we don’t plan on driving it for a few days. She said well then maybe there is something wrong with the device, just drive it down to the person that put it in and have them check it. Another $80 I’m guessing. I then asked if there was another number I could call, so the next time this thing does what it wants that I don’t have to sit outside for 51 minutes in the cold. She said they are experiencing heavy call volumes. Every time I call, there are heavy call volumes. For the amount of money these people are making, they need to hire more people!!
    Complaint #5
    From our dining room window, my husband saw the clock in the van turning on and off at regular intervals, so he went to investigate. He can hear a humming sound coming from the device at the same times that the clock is being displayed. Sure enough while the van is parked and off the smart start comes on and stays on for 5 seconds every 30 seconds, that’s 10 seconds every minute and 10 minutes an hour so this thing drains the battery, so if you don’t drive for 10 hours this thing runs for 100 minutes. I don’t have a faulty battery, i have an electronic thing in my vehicle sucking the juice out of my battery.

Jennifer L Hannah
    Participant

Haha, I’m a technician for LifeSafer, Monitech, and Guardian (most ignition interlock companies are owned by 2-3 companies, one being LMG Holdings).

All Ignition Interlock providers are like this. The thing is that since most first time offenders have driven drunk before (this is usually just the first time they got caught), no one is going to believe you and no one is going to do anything about this. To the companies, this is your punishment. The companies donate thousands to organizations that lobby towards the companies political agendas. There really is not much the DUI offenders themselves are able to do other than suck it up, the contracts are massively built against you and you didn’t read it, otherwise you’d be talking to a lawyer.

LsGiEmployee
    Participant

Haha, I’m a technician for LifeSafer, Monitech, and Guardian (most ignition interlock companies are owned by 2-3 companies, one being LMG Holdings).

All Ignition Interlock providers are like this. The thing is that since most first time offenders have driven drunk before (this is usually just the first time they got caught), no one is going to believe you and no one is going to do anything about this. To the companies, this is your punishment. The companies donate thousands to organizations that lobby towards the companies political agendas. There really is not much the DUI offenders themselves are able to do other than suck it up, the contracts are massively built against you and you didn’t read it, otherwise you’d be talking to a lawyer.

emccarth414
    Participant

This is a poorly designed and faulty device. It should be taking off the market. I’ve almost died more times than using the device than drinking and driving. Pretty ironic. I document and video all my times I blow hopefully a class action lawsuit is started against this dirty piece of garbage safety hazard company.

smartstartpetition
    Participant

I started a petition to force Smart Start to change. Please sign and share it https://www.change.org/p/road-safety-bc-regulate-smart-start-inc

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.