Home Forums Pennsylvania Motorists Issues Pennsylvania Motorists Issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PhillyCopnThe25 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

powderkeg
    Keymaster

Here’s a new forum topic for Pennsylvania motorists to discuss driving issues that affect them. Jump in!

Jason Newcombe
    Participant

I have been unofficially observing and studying left lane cruisers for many years. I understand that the NMA’s stance regarding left lane courtesy is education rather than enforcement. Without knowing any statistics or background information on either, I think that I’d have to say, right now, that I’d side with enforcement. I only say that because with the exception of drivers who truly may be unaware of the law, most people that I come across are cruising in the left lane because they honestly don’t care about the delays that they cause. Some do it with the mindset that they’re helping to keep the roads safer by ‘governing’ other driver’s speed.

If you think about it, to a good number of drivers on the roads, DRIVING, itself, is not their #1 priority. The act of being cognizant while driving takes a back seat to talking, daydreaming, or sightseeing, etc. I’m a fan of the old adage that sometimes you have to make it ‘sting’ for people to adhere to something. It’s like behavior modification, so to say. People will be ten times (or more) likely to stop at an intersection with a stop sign where they’d been ticked before or have seen others get ticketed at or a cop car hiding, as opposed to a nearby billboard with the intent of educating people about stopping at stop signs.

PhillyCopnThe25
    Participant

I have been unofficially observing and studying left lane cruisers for many years. I understand that the NMA’s stance regarding left lane courtesy is education rather than enforcement. Without knowing any statistics or background information on either, I think that I’d have to say, right now, that I’d side with enforcement. I only say that because with the exception of drivers who truly may be unaware of the law, most people that I come across are cruising in the left lane because they honestly don’t care about the delays that they cause. Some do it with the mindset that they’re helping to keep the roads safer by ‘governing’ other driver’s speed.

If you think about it, to a good number of drivers on the roads, DRIVING, itself, is not their #1 priority. The act of being cognizant while driving takes a back seat to talking, daydreaming, or sightseeing, etc. I’m a fan of the old adage that sometimes you have to make it ‘sting’ for people to adhere to something. It’s like behavior modification, so to say. People will be ten times (or more) likely to stop at an intersection with a stop sign where they’d been ticked before or have seen others get ticketed at or a cop car hiding, as opposed to a nearby billboard with the intent of educating people about stopping at stop signs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.