Home Forums Discuss NMA Issues NEED HELP CHOOSING WHICH INTERLOCK WOULD BE BEST IN NC

This topic contains 14 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  jes 71 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hi, I am needing some advice here in NC, I am getting my license back and I have to have either Monetech or Smart Start Company to deal with. Does anyone have any advice as to which would be the best option to go with. I have to have it for 5 years and with all I have read about the two I am really in for a great 5 years of Nightmares. The only devices I have heard that dont seem to have as many horror stories is the Draegar device but I dont think NC has any of these devices do they?. Any help would be appreciated, I am needing to choose an option soon so I can make an appointment with one of these companies, or does anyone know of any other company that would be a better option to go with in NC. Thanks Charlene64

Anonymous

I have the Monitech LJ-1 and except for a few lock outs when learning how to use it I haven’t had any trouble with it. However, they splice wires to install it, they do not use adapters. If Smart Start uses adapters, I would go with them, if I were you.
    I’m new with it and haven’t even had my first data download yet, but everything appeared to be fine when using it. Thankfully I can have mine removed in about 3 weeks when I go for the data download. I moved to Florida and they don’t require me to have it. I even have a Safe Driver endorsement on my license here. I’ll be glad to get rid of the thing, but really it hasn’t been any trouble after the first couple days with it.

I don’t know anything about the Smart Start though. They may be more user friendly to operate.
    But again, I would asked how they are installed. Cutting up a car’s wiring is not the ideal way to put the units in.
    You can see this thread for pics of my installation. Pretty poor workmanship, imo.
    http://forums.motorists.org/read.php?2,1813

Good luck with whichever one you choose. I could have lived with mine for 3 years, if I had to of, but I can’t wait to get it removed. Looking very forward to that day.

3yrIID
    Participant

I have the Monitech LJ-1 and except for a few lock outs when learning how to use it I haven’t had any trouble with it. However, they splice wires to install it, they do not use adapters. If Smart Start uses adapters, I would go with them, if I were you.
    I’m new with it and haven’t even had my first data download yet, but everything appeared to be fine when using it. Thankfully I can have mine removed in about 3 weeks when I go for the data download. I moved to Florida and they don’t require me to have it. I even have a Safe Driver endorsement on my license here. I’ll be glad to get rid of the thing, but really it hasn’t been any trouble after the first couple days with it.

I don’t know anything about the Smart Start though. They may be more user friendly to operate.
    But again, I would asked how they are installed. Cutting up a car’s wiring is not the ideal way to put the units in.
    You can see this thread for pics of my installation. Pretty poor workmanship, imo.
    http://forums.motorists.org/read.php?2,1813

Good luck with whichever one you choose. I could have lived with mine for 3 years, if I had to of, but I can’t wait to get it removed. Looking very forward to that day.

Anonymous

Although I hate the device, I recommend Smart Start. I have had one since November of 2011 and had no issues with it at all. I eat, smoke, chew gum, breath mints, pump gas, and all the other things a lot of people complain about getting false positives.

Obviously, DON’T put anything in your mouth that contains alcohol like mouth wash and you’ll be just fine. I’ve had one violation, but it was because I drank the night before and still had alcohol in my system. I don’t drink much but if I do drink, I do not blow into the device the next day.

Research the horror storys about Monotech or whatever it’s called on here and I think you’ll get a clear picture as to why you should go with Smart Start, plus they don’t splice the wires in your vehicle. Also, when you go to get it callibrated all they do is disconnect it, plug it into their system, and you’re done. Takes about 5 – 10 mins.

Good luck!!!

tommy1
    Participant

Although I hate the device, I recommend Smart Start. I have had one since November of 2011 and had no issues with it at all. I eat, smoke, chew gum, breath mints, pump gas, and all the other things a lot of people complain about getting false positives.

Obviously, DON’T put anything in your mouth that contains alcohol like mouth wash and you’ll be just fine. I’ve had one violation, but it was because I drank the night before and still had alcohol in my system. I don’t drink much but if I do drink, I do not blow into the device the next day.

Research the horror storys about Monotech or whatever it’s called on here and I think you’ll get a clear picture as to why you should go with Smart Start, plus they don’t splice the wires in your vehicle. Also, when you go to get it callibrated all they do is disconnect it, plug it into their system, and you’re done. Takes about 5 – 10 mins.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous

Smart start!!! Monitech is set to up to SCREW MULTIPLE OFFENDER’S!!!!!!!!!!!

soberuser216
    Participant

Smart start!!! Monitech is set to up to SCREW MULTIPLE OFFENDER’S!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Thanks for posting this question…am going withSmart start and from NC as well…

Silverback
    Participant

Thanks for posting this question…am going withSmart start and from NC as well…

Anonymous

My daughter gets the Monotech device taken off next week. What do they do when they take off the wires that are spiliced in?
    Do they just tape up the bare wires? Has this caused anyone problems?

dogbert
    Participant

My daughter gets the Monotech device taken off next week. What do they do when they take off the wires that are spiliced in?
    Do they just tape up the bare wires? Has this caused anyone problems?

Anonymous

when i had mine removed i had no problems at all sepends on if they had problems installing it but generaly no problem with removal

UNCLEDAVE2416
    Participant

when i had mine removed i had no problems at all sepends on if they had problems installing it but generaly no problem with removal

Anonymous

I have smart start. From what I have read. You will have some problems with all of them. Its not fun or easy. Things are what the are but the people at smart start are very nice and helpfully. They have been nice to work with and that helps out the situation.

jes 71
    Participant

I have smart start. From what I have read. You will have some problems with all of them. Its not fun or easy. Things are what the are but the people at smart start are very nice and helpfully. They have been nice to work with and that helps out the situation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.