Home Forums Florida Motorists Issues Need Advice in Florida: Blew a fail and I only have 1 month to go

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Mikey56 5 years ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Eveyone has a story so here’s mine.

Early 2000’s I received my first DUI. Completed all required court orders. 2005, I received my second DUI. I had relationship and financial issues causing me to drink excessively with the wrong crowd. No excuses. I made the mistakes and I have learned from them and have paid for my mistakes as well.

My Lawyer faught the charge for over 2 years. The case finally went to court in 2007. The result; 5 year revocation, and of course the Interlock. During this 5 years, I have made major changes in my life regarding drinking. My revocation was up in May. However, I still have the interlock until next month. 2 year requirement in Florida.

With that said, the DUI was seven years ago. I am not under any supervision program, no restricted license. The bad news: I blew a fail in the interlock a couple weeks ago for the first time ever. The car did not start. I immediately called Lifesaver and the rep advised me to blow in it again, otherwise she could not transfer me to a technician. This was over the weekend. I went back and blew again and failed again. This time, it locked me out. Tech said not to worry. Make appt. at the shop to have it reset. Done. After some research, the fail doesn’t get reported to the DMV unless you blow twice and fail. Damn, the rep told me to blow again.

I just opened a nice letter from the DMV advising me to make an appointment with the Supervision program regarding the fail that was reported to them. I am scared to death. I have worked so hard to get this behind me. My young stupid mistakes yes, but this has consumed my life for over 10+ years.

Does anyone out there know what could result from this appointment with the safety council? Again, no license restrictions, 1 month to go until deinstall of the interlock. This is the first violation I have ever had. Will they suspend my license? Will they add more time onto the interlock?

I have searched the internet and the Florida statutues and I can not seem to find any specific answers.
    Anyone?

Anonymous

I would guess that if you didnt have any other issues before these fails that it will just be a hearing Big question had you been drinking or was it an issue with the unit as i advise people in nc to always keep all your records,is that your only fail ?
    if you havent drank in along time then you should be ok but dont lie to them yes they can tell,the main isue any of these hearings are for is to see if theres a chance you will offend again good luck Uncledave

UNCLEDAVE2416
    Participant

I would guess that if you didnt have any other issues before these fails that it will just be a hearing Big question had you been drinking or was it an issue with the unit as i advise people in nc to always keep all your records,is that your only fail ?
    if you havent drank in along time then you should be ok but dont lie to them yes they can tell,the main isue any of these hearings are for is to see if theres a chance you will offend again good luck Uncledave

Anonymous

Hello,

UNCLEDAVE2416, Thanks for the reply.

I had a meeting with the safety council and I was scared. The counselor made me out to be a menace to society. Yes, it was my first fail in 2 years. Howver, I did have a previous warning due to hand sanitizer. I immediately went and had blood drawn as proof of no alcohol. He didn’t care. He wrote a report a mile long and stated I had no regard for the use of this device and could potentially drink and drive again. NOT TRUE. They will not have the pleasure of seeing my name or face in the system again . He sent me on my way with a warning. Next time I blow a fail they will suspend my license or add additional months into the Interlock term, he stated. So, I am ok today.

I have 2 weeks until this monster is out of my car. I swear it can feel that I hate it cause it keeps acting up. It knows when I pull into a drive thru or I’m on the phone. It will beep and request that I blow into it. I have hung up on people when it goes off, they have asked me what was that noise? I say, what noise? 8-)

I’ve had it for 2 years now, I reach down to blow right when it’s ready for me. I know when it’s about to go off. I swear I won’t know what to do when I can drive without it.

This certainly has been a learning experience for me. This has changed my life completely. That actually is what it was meant to do. I have been thru alot and learned alot.

If anyone has any questions about DUI in Florida let me know.

foreverchanged
    Participant

Hello,

UNCLEDAVE2416, Thanks for the reply.

I had a meeting with the safety council and I was scared. The counselor made me out to be a menace to society. Yes, it was my first fail in 2 years. Howver, I did have a previous warning due to hand sanitizer. I immediately went and had blood drawn as proof of no alcohol. He didn’t care. He wrote a report a mile long and stated I had no regard for the use of this device and could potentially drink and drive again. NOT TRUE. They will not have the pleasure of seeing my name or face in the system again . He sent me on my way with a warning. Next time I blow a fail they will suspend my license or add additional months into the Interlock term, he stated. So, I am ok today.

I have 2 weeks until this monster is out of my car. I swear it can feel that I hate it cause it keeps acting up. It knows when I pull into a drive thru or I’m on the phone. It will beep and request that I blow into it. I have hung up on people when it goes off, they have asked me what was that noise? I say, what noise? 8-)

I’ve had it for 2 years now, I reach down to blow right when it’s ready for me. I know when it’s about to go off. I swear I won’t know what to do when I can drive without it.

This certainly has been a learning experience for me. This has changed my life completely. That actually is what it was meant to do. I have been thru alot and learned alot.

If anyone has any questions about DUI in Florida let me know.

Anonymous

Congradulations on your out come yes when i had mine removed i kept reaching for it for 2 weeks its such a relief to have it gone, it did stop me from drinking i drank in 6 years i did stop before i went to court and happy i did good luck in the future Dave

UNCLEDAVE2416
    Participant

Congradulations on your out come yes when i had mine removed i kept reaching for it for 2 weeks its such a relief to have it gone, it did stop me from drinking i drank in 6 years i did stop before i went to court and happy i did good luck in the future Dave

Anonymous

I have to meet w the safty council for a recall due to a lock out. What r they going to do/ask me??

ladycakes
    Participant

I have to meet w the safty council for a recall due to a lock out. What r they going to do/ask me??

Anonymous

Yes I do. Please reply. All these comments on this blog can make a difference. At the North Florida Safety Council in Tallahassee I was told in the 15 years the executive director has been doing this, I am the first problem he’s had. REALLY??? I blew a .022 somehow (Warning on LifeSafer FC100 model)

Now appealing. If you’ll reply I’ll give you my phone number and info. This needs to change-so unfair to us who are trying to do the right thing. Val

valred
    Participant

Yes I do. Please reply. All these comments on this blog can make a difference. At the North Florida Safety Council in Tallahassee I was told in the 15 years the executive director has been doing this, I am the first problem he’s had. REALLY??? I blew a .022 somehow (Warning on LifeSafer FC100 model)

Now appealing. If you’ll reply I’ll give you my phone number and info. This needs to change-so unfair to us who are trying to do the right thing. Val

Anonymous

They are not going to ask you if you drank alcohol. They are going to assume you did. Hopefully this will be your first fail / lockout. If it is the first and you are not in the Special Supervision program, you will be ok. Just listen to what they have to say. If you are in the SS program, unfortunately, they most likely cancel you from the program and re-suspend you license until your revocation has expired.

My life has changed for the better since deciding not to drink alcohol. I am not perfect by any means. I used to think of myself as a victim of this crazy unjust system. I have realized eveything happens for a reason.
    Listen to this…..I recently came across a news article headline that read “Man charged with DUI manslaughter”. When I looked at the name I almost fell out of my chair. This was a friend or a so called friend that I used to party / drink with. At that very moment I realized, that could have been me. This guy will most likely spend 30 plus years behind bars for deciding to drink and drive and killing an innocent person that was in the car with him. Sad, very very sad. I said a prayer for the family of the person killed.

Again, everything happens for a reason. Take a look at your life and make a decision if alcohol is really worth it. Once arrested for DUI, it haunts you for life. Once in “the system” it’s hard to get out. If you ever get pulled over for any reason, the police will see your driving record and eye ball you closely looking for signs of impairment.

I agree that a portion of the state and federal laws are designed based of obtaining additional revenue, but the overall basis of all DUI laws were enacted to save lives. Lives such as the person I mentioned above, killed for riding in a car with a person that was under the influenence of alcohol.

I ask you again, is alcohol really worth it? Think of that person I used to know, spending 30 years in prison for making a deadly mistake of drinking and driving, that could be any one if us……..

Foreverchanged

foreverchanged
    Participant

They are not going to ask you if you drank alcohol. They are going to assume you did. Hopefully this will be your first fail / lockout. If it is the first and you are not in the Special Supervision program, you will be ok. Just listen to what they have to say. If you are in the SS program, unfortunately, they most likely cancel you from the program and re-suspend you license until your revocation has expired.

My life has changed for the better since deciding not to drink alcohol. I am not perfect by any means. I used to think of myself as a victim of this crazy unjust system. I have realized eveything happens for a reason.
    Listen to this…..I recently came across a news article headline that read “Man charged with DUI manslaughter”. When I looked at the name I almost fell out of my chair. This was a friend or a so called friend that I used to party / drink with. At that very moment I realized, that could have been me. This guy will most likely spend 30 plus years behind bars for deciding to drink and drive and killing an innocent person that was in the car with him. Sad, very very sad. I said a prayer for the family of the person killed.

Again, everything happens for a reason. Take a look at your life and make a decision if alcohol is really worth it. Once arrested for DUI, it haunts you for life. Once in “the system” it’s hard to get out. If you ever get pulled over for any reason, the police will see your driving record and eye ball you closely looking for signs of impairment.

I agree that a portion of the state and federal laws are designed based of obtaining additional revenue, but the overall basis of all DUI laws were enacted to save lives. Lives such as the person I mentioned above, killed for riding in a car with a person that was under the influenence of alcohol.

I ask you again, is alcohol really worth it? Think of that person I used to know, spending 30 years in prison for making a deadly mistake of drinking and driving, that could be any one if us……..

Foreverchanged

Anonymous

foreverchanged,

I’m in Florida and have had an “Alcolock” on my car for five months. Nineteen more to go. Today I had my first fail, or at least I think it was a fail. The device only read “Caution” and the car wouldn’t start. I had been drinking the night before but felt so completely sober by the time I blew that it didn’t even occur to me that I may have still had alcohol in my system.

Will this be reported to the DMV? Will there be penalties by the Interlock provider?

It made me so nervous I locked my keys in the car and I’ve been reading everything on it I can find.

I appreciate your story and thanks for offering help.

Mikey56
    Participant

foreverchanged,

I’m in Florida and have had an “Alcolock” on my car for five months. Nineteen more to go. Today I had my first fail, or at least I think it was a fail. The device only read “Caution” and the car wouldn’t start. I had been drinking the night before but felt so completely sober by the time I blew that it didn’t even occur to me that I may have still had alcohol in my system.

Will this be reported to the DMV? Will there be penalties by the Interlock provider?

It made me so nervous I locked my keys in the car and I’ve been reading everything on it I can find.

I appreciate your story and thanks for offering help.

Anonymous

Hey Mikey56,

If you blew just a caution which sounds like a “warning”, you should be fine. If you blew a fail, you will receive a letter from the state advising you to contact your nearest safety council to schedule an appointment. Usually the first fail, will not result in suspension.

If you do drink, best practice would be to wait 12 hours from the time you stop drinking to try and drive. Even then, it always depends on how much you drink the night before. Always make sure you eat, and drink plenty of water when you wake up.

Good Luck and let me know the outcome.

foreverchanged
    Participant

Hey Mikey56,

If you blew just a caution which sounds like a “warning”, you should be fine. If you blew a fail, you will receive a letter from the state advising you to contact your nearest safety council to schedule an appointment. Usually the first fail, will not result in suspension.

If you do drink, best practice would be to wait 12 hours from the time you stop drinking to try and drive. Even then, it always depends on how much you drink the night before. Always make sure you eat, and drink plenty of water when you wake up.

Good Luck and let me know the outcome.

Anonymous

Whew. I just got back from my appointment. They didn’t say a word. Maybe I’m just paranoid or maybe they’re just an exceptionally nice office. I think I was worried because when I went in after my first month I was told that just blowing into it too many times without success could cause me “problems”.

I plan ahead now and don’t drive for 24 hours after I’ve had a few drinks. And I ordered my own breathalyzer. I didn’t even know the things were available to the public. Wouldn’t have known it if this incident hadn’t caused me to read at places like this.

Thanks, foreverchanged.

Mikey56
    Participant

Whew. I just got back from my appointment. They didn’t say a word. Maybe I’m just paranoid or maybe they’re just an exceptionally nice office. I think I was worried because when I went in after my first month I was told that just blowing into it too many times without success could cause me “problems”.

I plan ahead now and don’t drive for 24 hours after I’ve had a few drinks. And I ordered my own breathalyzer. I didn’t even know the things were available to the public. Wouldn’t have known it if this incident hadn’t caused me to read at places like this.

Thanks, foreverchanged.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.