Home Forums North Carolina Motorists Issues NC Interlock Device

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LsGiEmployee 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Mark Nicewicz
    Participant

Okay, so I’m going to try to summarize the situation. My husband had a couple DUI’s from 3+ years ago. As a result, he didn’t have a license. We finally hired a lawyer after he was caught driving without a license. That charge was dismissed because of the circumstances in which he was driving and we decided to go forth with finally getting him a valid license. After a ton of money to the courts and DMV, he had to put an interlock safety device in our van for a year. For the first month or so, we did great and never had a warn let alone a fail. Neither of us drink (he quit 3 years ago) but we ended up with a couple warns (followed by passes) and a couple fails due to eating and driving. We also ended up with a program violation for missing a rolling test (this was my fault as I had ran in the house while the van was running and didn’t come back out in time) Since then, we’ve had the machine serviced and at the appointment, we wrote out what happened.

The guy at the appointment told us that we cannot get another fail for the next 4 months (this was less than 2 weeks ago). Tonight, on the way to take my children to church, one of my kids, who has a stomach condition, started to throw up. I pulled over and got him out of the van and was tending to him. During all of this, the machine asked me to do a rolling test but I didn’t hear it. When I did hear it, it was to say “alarm” and something about turning the vehicle off to do a running test. I did that immediately and got a pass as well as another pass 10 minutes later during another rolling test.

My question/concern is, because this is the 2nd running test that was missed (although I got a pass within minutes of missing it), in the last 4 months of having the device, what can I expect? I am unable to work due to medical conditions and often times I am not even able to drive so my husband is not only our sole provider but our primary driver as well. If he loses his license, we will very likely be homeless as he will not be able to work and neither of us have family to turn to for help.

Also, how long does it usually take to hear something from the DMV? Is there a way to beat them to the punch and call someone (other than Monitech whom we’ve already contacted (each time we do, we end up paying $35 for an override code) to explain what happened and if we do, will that better our chances of not getting into more trouble??

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer L Hannah
    Participant

You actually are able to dispute violations, but in most states you only have a certain amount of days from the time of the violation itself. Ignition Interlock offices are notorious for witholding reports until this period has passed, that way you get a violation that you can’t dispute. I know, I work for them ;)

LsGiEmployee
    Participant

You actually are able to dispute violations, but in most states you only have a certain amount of days from the time of the violation itself. Ignition Interlock offices are notorious for witholding reports until this period has passed, that way you get a violation that you can’t dispute. I know, I work for them ;)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.