Home Forums Drunk/Drugged Driving laws and enforcement My interlock year is up!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anti DUI laws 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

mcpuntblock
    Participant

Hi all…after one year, my time with the interlock is up, and I had it removed today. Now starts the rest of a life without ever drinking and getting behind the wheel. I live in Wisconsin, and this was my first ticket, but because I was above .15, I automatically received the year with the IID. There’s so little out there about IID’s, and this site has been a great help.

For those of you starting out your IID sentence, you’ll get through it. Time will drag on, no doubt, it’s not a fun thing. I think I got lucky in that I randomly chose my vendor (we have four to choose from in WI) and got the Drager interlock, which from what I can tell is as about as reliable as it gets in terms of not getting false fails. That being said, you have to be careful, and use your head. Don’t eat in your car. No mouthwash. Be careful with perfumes and colognes. If you are concerned about anything in your environment or that you ingested, drink water before blowing. If you drink often and are concerned about a fail in the morning, buy a good breathalyzer so you can check before blowing into the IID. Don’t take any risks, play it as safe as possible. I had one fail, and it was legit. (Tried to go to work early after a night out celebrating a friend’s birthday.) It is your responsibility, and whether you like it or not, we all are at fault for putting ourselves into this situation, and you have to embrace it.

So, that’s my advice. I can’t say that after this experience I agree with the punishment, but it is what it is. I think an IID is a great tool for people with multiple DUI’s that over time have proven that they will drive drunk, but for a first time offender, it pretty much just helps to make politicians look good. Once politicians and special interest groups treat people who text while driving like they treat DUI offenders, then I’ll believe they are actually acting in the interest of the safety of the driving public. (But I’m not holding my breath for that to happen.)

I’ll hang around the site, and if there’s anything I can do to help out, just ask.

Bliddy Boh
    Participant

Let me be the first to say congratulations!
    Now you are part of what seems to be a graduating class B)

donna delagard
    Participant

congrates !!! you are lucky you have more than one service provider my machine has been on the fritz since dec i live in ontario. and you never know if you are gonna stall read fail , early service or unstable read which means you have to hitch a ride home from wherever you are . very glad for you :)

Anti DUI laws
    Participant

mcpuntblock Congratulations ! I agree with you and yes I too will not hold my breath , although it may help with lowering your BAC level be lower
    “””I can’t say that after this experience I agree with the punishment, but it is what it is. I think an IID is a great tool for people with multiple DUI’s that over time have proven that they will drive drunk, but for a first time offender, it pretty much just helps to make politicians look good.”””

Thank you for writing in. I have to start my iiD some time end of this month. I am not looking forward to blowing in the machine with my kids and friends in the car. FOr a first tiem DUI with no driving violations , this measure seems extreem. But hey Who can ever say – Drink and Drive – it is fine ! I am all for keeping our roads safe, but there has to be a more reasonable way !

Sorry Bliddy , if I sound like huffing and puffing….didn’t take my chance with the Jury . So here I am !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.