Home Forums Discuss NMA Issues Lane Courtesy Left lane driving – memoriallized

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel53 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

David S Peterson
    Participant

I recently read something on this site that reminded me (after 30 years) that back in the 1980s and into the 90s, there was a lengthy battle of words on the Washington Post about left lane beltway drivers, and an argument that went on via letters to the editor for years. That was all before the internet and a media that now allows readers to spar on their own and post their own unedited comments.

An individual by the name of Nestor originally wrote a letter to editor describing how he would set his cruise control at the 55 speed limit and ride in the left lane of the Washington beltway. The intent was to control traffic speed and to make his commute less stressful. I do not recollect his direction of travel or the area of beltway that he commuted. As I commuted using the same beltway from VA to MD in the same time frame it was something that stuck with me. The back and forth letters on the right and wrong of this tactic literally went on for years. A Google search uncovered a letter and reply in the 1990s. He also was remembered for posterity as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nestor

The terminology “Nestoring” actually became a local colloquilism for this frustrating practice. Just a tid bit of info for those that have experienced Nestoring.

Thanks a ton for sharing such an informative post on “Left lane driving”. Actually I want to learn driving so these days reading such posts. Hey, can you please suggest a good Port Macquarie Driving School?

Daniel53
    Participant

Thanks a ton for sharing such an informative post on “Left lane driving”. Actually I want to learn driving so these days reading such posts. Hey, can you please suggest a good Port Macquarie Driving School?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.