Home Forums Drunk/Drugged Driving laws and enforcement Is there a way to get an Interlock device out of my vehicle if i move to another state.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have had the device for 7 months and failed at least once before my service date. I live in NC and have to have this stupid thing for 3 years with a .00 level. I was just wondering if I decided to move to a different state could I possibly get it out sooner. I HATE THE MACHINE ALL IT IS IS A MONEY PIT

sunshine
      Participant

On your question, sorry, if you move, every state has laws that the DUI will follow you, including sentencing.

It’s not at all “all …a money pit.” It’s about the public protecting themselves from people who drive drunk. And if after 7 months and a conviction, you still have no sense of regret for what led to this — then you aren’t ready to let it go yet. There are people here who do understand their contribution, and are just expressing frustration with a device problem. You aren’t one of them…

So, was the fail legit over having drunk (including the night before)? To get 3 years with it, implies (is this accurate, or not?) that the situation leading to it, was significant.

There are people paying out of pocket for 3 years to get to doctor’s appointments (appt & transportation costs) as a result if drunk driving accidents. So it’s not just you paying monthly.

Sure it’s an inconvenience… but aren’t there ways to move forward -with- the device on your car?

shawngedd
      Participant

1st of all I’m not driving drunk I’ve learned that lesson. I chose not to get my licence back for 7 years and that was my choice. Not only that I served time for one of them And I will disagree with you and saying that it isn’t a money pit. I feel like I’m on probation again having to pay for something every 2 months that for one drains your battery on your car and in order for me to do work on my car I have to have their permission to do so. I don’t see where these people who have created this device gets off telling me I cant eat something while driving and cant drink drinks that are made of fruits such as juices and such. If you ask me its a violation of my civil rights even though it is a privilege to drive and it is also a distraction. And people are going to drive drunk regardless. Some learn and some don’t. And none of my fails have been alcohol related.

sunshine
      Participant

If you’d done this right away it’d make perfect sense. You waited 7 years, and are complaining because it seems like it no longer makes sense, but it IS appropriate to the original situation, and part of the sentence. So yes, you’re on a kind of probation – because you didn’t do this step originally. Great that you don’t need it, but a sentence doesn’t stop on the day you figure out what it’s about. It’s fixed in advance. It’s not remotely a civil violation. It’s part of a conviction.

If it’s draining your battery than it’s a faulty installation.

Yes, some will continue to drive drunk and this device will identify some of them. And that’s why it was assigned to you — because the court can’t look at someone and know whether they’re going to be the one who’s learned.

It’s completely false to claim it’s a money pit. You yourself say it – some people even after everything – will drive drunk. It’s to identify them and get them off the road. For some people, quite a few here, it helps them get on board with no driving drunk. Some folks figure it out on day one — but it’s not everyone — so this is about the public protecting itself. It’s not a perfect way to deal with alcoholism, nor irresponsibly driving, but until a great way is invented — this IS about that, not money. And consider what I said before, injured people pay MORE per month, than these devices cost.

3yrIID
      Participant

The state of Florida will NOT require you to have an interlock device. I moved here from Hickory, NC where I had to have an interlock for 3 years. Florida did not require it, since I did not have a DWI in this state. In fact, I have a Safe Driver endorsement on my Fl license.
      I removed the device myself and mailed it back to Monotech in NC.
      I am NOT permitted to drive in NC until the 3 years are up. Once that time has passed, I can get unrestricted NC license, should I move back.

Wanttosucceed
      Participant

I wouldn’t assume anything about FL without checking with their DMV. I doubt they would forgive the NC DUI; if they did, everyone would be flocking to FL!

In my opinion, the only safe and legal way to remove the device is to have the company who installed it remove it.

3yrIID
      Participant

Wanttosucceed Wrote:

> I wouldn’t assume anything about FL without
      > checking with their DMV. I doubt they would
      > forgive the NC DUI; if they did, everyone would be
      > flocking to FL!
      >
      > In my opinion, the only safe and legal way to
      > remove the device is to have the company who
      > installed it remove it.

I’m not assuming anything. I went through it all about a year and a half ago (March 2012). I went through all required in NC to get my NC license back, including the paying for the install/removal fee for a Monitech device. 1 month later, I moved to Fl and went to get my Fl license. They gave me my license with no restrictions, no IID required and told me I would NOT be required to have a IID on my car in Fl since I have never had a DUI in Fl. My Fl license are in good standing to this day. I am free to drive anywhere in the country EXCEPT NC which will charge me with DWLR. Once the 3 years have passed (which will be March 2015) I can then drive in NC and I can get NC license with no restriction on them, no IID required AFTER the 3 years has passed.

I mailed my device back to Monitech in May of 2012 because they told me they were going to charge me a fee to remove it. I had already paid to have it removed when it was installed. Anyone that has a Monitech device in NC pays up front for installation AND removal of the device the day it is installed. I was going to drive up there for my first service visit (60 days after install of device) and let them take it out. Since they said I would have to pay for it to be removed early, I refused to drive to NC to have it done. I simply took it out myself and mailed to them at their main office address in Morrisville, NC. There was absolutly NOTHING illegal about me removing the device myself, since I do not live in NC any longer and no longer required to have the device in my car.

You can see here where I posted about it:
      http://forums.motorists.org/read.php?2,1989,1989#msg-1989
      Here you can see the poor installation practice they have when putting one of these device in peoples cars:
      http://forums.motorists.org/read.php?2,1813,1813#msg-1813

sunshine
      Participant

So 3yrILD, do you drive drunk or tipsy? Just curious how you feel about that now-a-days after being through this, since you have a clean license.

Do you know if what happened for you, was law, or accident of someone not knowing (and implementing) the law accurately? It happens.
      Any chance you know the statue or law number that covers this? As WantToSucceed said, seems like word would have gotten around & FL is very hard on DUIs in-state. Obviously if it’d been part of a probation, the story would be different.

For all the impacts you’ve complained about, have you considered the impact of drunk driving when you hit someone? You had a custom machine so it mattered to you. People have custom bodies, that will never be the same. Parts that aren’t replaceable.

…just saying… it’s fair to gripe, but there’s more to the situation that I hope is rattling around there somewhere too.

3yrIID
      Participant

sunshine Wrote:

> So 3yrILD, do you drive drunk or tipsy? Just
      > curious how you feel about that now-a-days after
      > being through this, since you have a clean
      > license.

No, I don’t drink alcohol at all and haven’t since 1998.

>
      > Do you know if what happened for you, was law, or
      > accident of someone not knowing (and implementing)
      > the law accurately? It happens.
      > Any chance you know the statue or law number that
      > covers this? As WantToSucceed said, seems like
      > word would have gotten around & FL is very hard on
      > DUIs in-state. Obviously if it’d been part of a
      > probation, the story would be different.

No sorry I don’t have the law. I first called Tallahassee to learn an IID would not be required. When I went to get my license in Clearwater I was told it wasn’t required to be in my car and I could get it removed.

>
      > For all the impacts you’ve complained about, have
      > you considered the impact of drunk driving when
      > you hit someone? You had a custom machine so it
      > mattered to you. People have custom bodies, that
      > will never be the same. Parts that aren’t
      > replaceable.

I was very fortunate and never hurt anyone.

>
      > …just saying… it’s fair to gripe, but there’s
      > more to the situation that I hope is rattling
      > around there somewhere too.

I’m the type person that will not take to being taken advantage of. I was very upset to hear I was going to be charged twice for something. I simply wasn’t going to put up with it. I also wasn’t happy with the poor quality in which Monitech installed the device in my car. They are cheap and didn’t get proper adapters to hook up the wiring. They are damaging peoples wiring with their practice. Everyone should be mad about it.

I would suggest you call Tallahassee if you need more information about moving here and getting a Florida license. I don’t know if it applies to everyone or just people that have had Florida license in the past (I have in the late 70’s early 80’s). I have never had a DUI in Florida before. I did have some minor traffic violations on a motorcycle around 1984 in Miami is all. Those of course were long gone off of my Florida driving record, so I now have a Safe Driver status on my license here.

sunshine
      Participant

> …just saying… it’s fair to gripe, but there’s
      > more to the situation that I hope is rattling
      > around there somewhere too.

When i said that, I was referring to my comment (that seems to have gotten lost)… that people’s bodies are custom and aren’t rebuildable.

Whatever Monitech or whoever does to wiring… what shouldnt’ get lost is that it’s a car, and it’s real people with real physical bodies that get permanently injuried. Those bodies are “custom” built too. And they can’t be rebuilt back to new. Even with lots of expensive intensive work, people hit by drunk drivers live for life with the consequences.

So I was saying that while it’s fair to gripe over some mechanical stuff… there’s much more to this situation and I hope that TOO is rattling around in one’s thoughts.

The anger at what happened to your car hurts for those of us who’ve dealt with people who’s bodies were permanently damaged, if that bigger context isn’t considered too. That by comparison it’s trival that some wiring is cut and twisted together. Doesn’t change resale value except in a custom built or highend car where it has to be rebuilt. As for double charging to remove it – you didn’t get charged. It was an unusual situation that you’d moved, and under normal circumstances, wouldn’t come up. Glad you solved it all, but hope you consider it in context of the bigger picture.

Congrats on not drinking. Hard thing to change. I’d guess you could point out ways your life if better for it (hopefully better not worse)… That’s a big accomplishment!

dizzle
      Participant

I have gone through a similiar situation with my interlock.

Got a DUI 5 years ago in FL
      Moved to Arizona last year
      Tried to get an AZ license and it had a hold on it from Florida for the DUI
      Florida said i needed to have an interlock device installed so i got it installed in AZ from a nationwide installer and FL took the hold off my license so I was able to get a license in AZ
      AZ did not put an interlock restriction on my license ,and doesnt care at all whether i have the device or not.

So really i think a loophole exists where you can technically get an interlock device for 1 month to satisfy a requirement from another state and then just get it removed. Mine is still in the car, but I cant stand it.

The biggest problem i have is that its 5 years after I had the DUI which doesnt make sense. I can see getting an interlock device so you can have a restricted license right after a DUI. But requiring one after you have waited 5 years and completed all the other requirements in ludicrous.

And the companies that install and monitor the device are all a total sham. They charge for everything from a phone call to ask a question, to a violation caused from a dead battery to anything they can think of. The contract is all just a bunch of fine print about how they are going to screw you out of money every chance they get.

Kevin M Colwell
      Participant

Hey man thanks for the info. The only thing I’m thinking is if you ever do move back to NC they will still require you to have it. I thought the same thing I did the classes and community service here in NC but didn’t do the interlock. I just figured I would wait over a year (my requirement w IDD) and then get my lisence back. Well I did that and the interlock requirement is still there and will not go away. I was thinking of moving back to NY to open a store and see if I can get a lisence there like you did in FL but I think if I move back NC would still require me to get it. As I type this maybe you just meant drive in NC and not necessarly get a NC lisence? I have monotech install it today and it’s just not gonna work out lol. I will never drive drunk again but this thing is not effective it is actually not even safe. I’m hoping NY will do what FL did for you otherwise I may be moving to FL lol.

slimdusty
      Participant

Hey man thanks for the info. The only thing I’m thinking is if you ever do move back to NC they will still require you to have it. I thought the same thing I did the classes and community service here in NC but didn’t do the interlock. I just figured I would wait over a year (my requirement w IDD) and then get my lisence back. Well I did that and the interlock requirement is still there and will not go away. I was thinking of moving back to NY to open a store and see if I can get a lisence there like you did in FL but I think if I move back NC would still require me to get it. As I type this maybe you just meant drive in NC and not necessarly get a NC lisence? I have monotech install it today and it’s just not gonna work out lol. I will never drive drunk again but this thing is not effective it is actually not even safe. I’m hoping NY will do what FL did for you otherwise I may be moving to FL lol.

3yrIID
      Participant

slimdusty Wrote:

> Hey man thanks for the info. The only thing I’m
      > thinking is if you ever do move back to NC they
      > will still require you to have it. I thought the
      > same thing I did the classes and community service
      > here in NC but didn’t do the interlock. I just
      > figured I would wait over a year (my requirement w
      > IDD) and then get my lisence back. Well I did
      > that and the interlock requirement is still there
      > and will not go away. I was thinking of moving
      > back to NY to open a store and see if I can get a
      > lisence there like you did in FL but I think if I
      > move back NC would still require me to get it. As
      > I type this maybe you just meant drive in NC and
      > not necessarly get a NC lisence? I have monotech
      > install it today and it’s just not gonna work out
      > lol. I will never drive drunk again but this
      > thing is not effective it is actually not even
      > safe. I’m hoping NY will do what FL did for you
      > otherwise I may be moving to FL lol.
      Sorry to the late reply, I haven’t been on here in awhile.

The way I understand it, in my case, is that as long as I have a FL license and get no tickets in 3 years, NC will drop the requirement for an IID should I move back. During those 3 years I can not drive in NC without an IID in the car or I will be charged with DWLR. So, if I go to NC, I have someone else drive while I am there. I’ve even been met at the state line by friends so I had a driver while being in NC, just in case. They also drove me to the line when I left. It will be 3 years March 2015 and I have had no tickets. So I will no longer have to have anyone meet me at the NC/SC line to drive for me while in NC when I visit and should I decide to move back after March, I can then get my NC license without an IID required. If I was to move back to NC today, I would have to get an IID in my car again, at least until March.
      The rules vary from state to state. Moving here (FL) from some other state (other than NC) may have required an IID, even though I never had a DWI here. It just depends on the way states work together. FL may require it for someone from say Iowa, but not someone from NC.

You can call NY DMV and see what they say. If you are curious, you can call FL DMV to see if your case is the same as mine. I guess they will tell you the same thing, coming from NC to FL (and no past DWI in FL) you will not be required to have an IID installed.

Good luck.

bgunn1985
      Participant

Georgia, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Tennessee are not members of the drivers license compact. But you have enough time before your license suspension period begins to run to another state and get a valid one from there. You can go to any of the above states at a later time if you can’t beat it to the nearest states local DMV with an address before your suspension begins and receive a valid drivers license but will still be restricted in the state that you received your DUI until you fulfill your your ignition interlock device. I’m received mine in Kansas City, Ks and was informed by my attorney to get a license on the Mo side before my suspension began if I had a residence I could use and it will be valid in any state accept the state I received my DUI until my ignition interlock device term was successfully completed so I just stay out of Kansas ignition interlock devices are a money pit and inconvenience they don’t stop DUI’s they just bring revenue for the state. UBER prevents DUI’s not interlock devices.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.