Home Forums Drunk/Drugged Driving laws and enforcement interlock false positive

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MrMoto 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

John J Lindsey
    Participant

The guy at smart start told me there’s a number of things that could cause the system to give a false positive reading… That being said will the system let me know when I have failed a test on a false positive test? Or will I have to wait till I get the machine serviced to be told I failed a test Even if it’s because I used nightquil nit because I’ve been drinking or was drinking the night before?

Ian Cain Smith
    Participant

A false positive isn’t really false on an interlock. It’s designed to detect alcohol, and that’s what it’s doing. The alcohol might be from a glass of vodka, or from a Nyquil or some fermented pizza dough. The interlock doesn’t know where it comes from.

States have different reporting requirements. If the interlock detects alcohol and the vehicle doesn’t start, that’s a fail.That’s why they advise you to wash your mouth out after eating if you’re using the interlock.

Any fail will register on your log. I think only NY has real-time reporting. Most states have the interlock shop download the log and send it to whoever looks at it.

If it is a false positive – fruit juice fermentation or whatever – you usually get another chance in 5 minutes or so. If you blow ok the second time, the authorities will figure it’s a mistake and won’t pay attention, presumably. If you blow 3 fails and are locked out for a long time, that’s trouble.

MrMoto
    Participant

A false positive isn’t really false on an interlock. It’s designed to detect alcohol, and that’s what it’s doing. The alcohol might be from a glass of vodka, or from a Nyquil or some fermented pizza dough. The interlock doesn’t know where it comes from.

States have different reporting requirements. If the interlock detects alcohol and the vehicle doesn’t start, that’s a fail.That’s why they advise you to wash your mouth out after eating if you’re using the interlock.

Any fail will register on your log. I think only NY has real-time reporting. Most states have the interlock shop download the log and send it to whoever looks at it.

If it is a false positive – fruit juice fermentation or whatever – you usually get another chance in 5 minutes or so. If you blow ok the second time, the authorities will figure it’s a mistake and won’t pay attention, presumably. If you blow 3 fails and are locked out for a long time, that’s trouble.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.