Home Forums North Carolina Motorists Issues Interlock Fail parameters greatly reduced in NC

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jonnibuoy 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

When I got it installed eight months ago, the warn parameter was .02. Just like everyone else, I have had many, many problems with this device and feel it is designed for failure. But I am very motivated to continue getting my life back together, so I keep moving forward. Up until now, the machine would not warn at all unless the number was .02. After a warning rolling test (eating a steak salad in the car) I requested my full report, and was astonished to see many pases with no warning at all (.01 – .009.) Since my restriction is .000, this meant the NC DMV considered this a bad violation, even though I didnt even know anything was amiss. Since I had not been drinking at all, and the machine passed me each time. I was scheduled for a hearing which of course was quite distressing since I had not even been drinking. All of my bad blows have been food related.

I had a service appt right before the hearing, and Monitech (monopoly in NC) said that the warn/fail parameters had changed. For me, it is now set to warn at .004. Extremely sensitive…..in some ways this might be good, since at least I would get some kind of fore-warning that something is amiss. But on the other hand, as many problems this device gives, and I believe is designed for failure for the person using it, these new reduced numbers will probably be a huge problem for many drivers who are not drinking at all. Monitech people say that the DMV is aware of things like food causing low numbers to pop up (mouth residue & sugar alcohols). If so, then why wouldf the DMV mandate the much lower numbers??

Another very odd thing is that when I went to the hearing, I mentioned the new parameter changes, and the Hearing Officer said she hadnt heard about it. Uhm, why would the person at the top of the chain, and judging whether or not people can keep their licenses, why would she have not been one of the first people told??? Something just seems really fishy about the whole thing. Luckily I did keep my licensure after this hearing. However I have two more years to go, and I know it is obvious I am going to continue to log up problems. Assoon as I can afford, I am going to buy a dash cam so that when these false numbers come up, I can prove with no doubt that I am not drinking, and I am the one blowing, noone else. The other proactive things I have done is decide *never* to eat in the car, not nothing, no ever. Also I bought a hand held so that I know for sure I am blowing .000 and not .004.

Anonymous

Ha.. I didnt mean to have a smiley face on that post…..!:S

Wanttosucceed
    Participant

Ha.. I didnt mean to have a smiley face on that post…..!:S

Anonymous

Hello Everyone,

Well I am new to the forum and would like to say that I now am a victim of these contraptions. I lost my license in 2006 for two DWI within one year.
    However in 2008 I self checked into a full one year treatment program that was a lock down christian facility where I went through the treatment and graduated.
    Since then I do not drink and have changed my life. I just spoke at church on sunday since my father who is the pastor was gone.
    I paid my fines did the 40 hours of classes as well. I didnt receive any type of credit for being in the facility and hsve to have this thing on for three years. My wife and I have to share a car and she has to blow in it too to get to work. She works at a hospital. Both of my sisters are attorneys in NC and I am trying to get my sister to do a class action lawsuit against these people for violating an innocent persons civil rights for having to dirve with one of these. I cant help it if I can not afford another car. I have had a scooter for years and am tired of riding it.
    To top it off my career was taken from me as well. I should get credit for the one year of treatment and can prove in court or a hearing that I suffer from documented anxitey attacks and have been under the care of a physician for three years. It causes me to have panic attacks all the time , at night during the day, I am frozen.

If we can get enough people on board I will get my sister to sue these people in a civil case. Send me responses, anyone in North Carolina and possilbly other states who are willing to jump on board.
    Also please respond if anyone has ever served there time with one of these. By the time Im done It will add up to 10 years either without a license or on this which is worse than not having one. My case should defintely be looked at. I can prove every statement in this post.

jonnibuoy
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Well I am new to the forum and would like to say that I now am a victim of these contraptions. I lost my license in 2006 for two DWI within one year.
    However in 2008 I self checked into a full one year treatment program that was a lock down christian facility where I went through the treatment and graduated.
    Since then I do not drink and have changed my life. I just spoke at church on sunday since my father who is the pastor was gone.
    I paid my fines did the 40 hours of classes as well. I didnt receive any type of credit for being in the facility and hsve to have this thing on for three years. My wife and I have to share a car and she has to blow in it too to get to work. She works at a hospital. Both of my sisters are attorneys in NC and I am trying to get my sister to do a class action lawsuit against these people for violating an innocent persons civil rights for having to dirve with one of these. I cant help it if I can not afford another car. I have had a scooter for years and am tired of riding it.
    To top it off my career was taken from me as well. I should get credit for the one year of treatment and can prove in court or a hearing that I suffer from documented anxitey attacks and have been under the care of a physician for three years. It causes me to have panic attacks all the time , at night during the day, I am frozen.

If we can get enough people on board I will get my sister to sue these people in a civil case. Send me responses, anyone in North Carolina and possilbly other states who are willing to jump on board.
    Also please respond if anyone has ever served there time with one of these. By the time Im done It will add up to 10 years either without a license or on this which is worse than not having one. My case should defintely be looked at. I can prove every statement in this post.

Anonymous

Jonnibuoy,whats your email address?

Something needs to be done. Its truely insane. If the MADD executives (yes, its now run by $ executives, not mothers) had to use one I bet they would cease all this ignorant lobbying.

Yesterday I left a job interview and once again my unit is coming up with hieroglyphic-looking gibberish on the screen. Then the screen went blank, and it verbally asked me for my passcode, but the screen remained blank so I could not enter it. It timed out, hieroglyphics again, again went blank and asked me for passcode. At this point I am on hold with Monitech’s 800 line. After not being able to enter passcode second time, it went into a 5 minute lockout. Four min of waiting on hold, Monitech dropped the call. At the end of the lockout, I reset myself by pulling off the handsat and replacing. For this, I got to have a loud alarm right outside where I had just had a job interview. It was either that, or have it towed into Monitech.

It finally worked. But am sure the lockout is now on my “record,” even though its obvious the handset is messed up.

Wanttosucceed
    Participant

Jonnibuoy,whats your email address?

Something needs to be done. Its truely insane. If the MADD executives (yes, its now run by $ executives, not mothers) had to use one I bet they would cease all this ignorant lobbying.

Yesterday I left a job interview and once again my unit is coming up with hieroglyphic-looking gibberish on the screen. Then the screen went blank, and it verbally asked me for my passcode, but the screen remained blank so I could not enter it. It timed out, hieroglyphics again, again went blank and asked me for passcode. At this point I am on hold with Monitech’s 800 line. After not being able to enter passcode second time, it went into a 5 minute lockout. Four min of waiting on hold, Monitech dropped the call. At the end of the lockout, I reset myself by pulling off the handsat and replacing. For this, I got to have a loud alarm right outside where I had just had a job interview. It was either that, or have it towed into Monitech.

It finally worked. But am sure the lockout is now on my “record,” even though its obvious the handset is messed up.

Anonymous

joni4188@gmail….anyone else wanna jump on board????

jonnibuoy
    Participant

joni4188@gmail….anyone else wanna jump on board????

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.