Home Forums Illinois Motorists Issues Illinois drivers with or about to get a BAIID

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bliddy Boh 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Any questions or concerns just ask. I will try to help you out. I am just a fellow that has been going through the steps after a DUI.

Anonymous

I live in IL… queation…If the vehicle is registered in my husbands name, but the insurance is in my name, and he is the one who got the dui, do I still have to get the sr-22 insurance, and the interlock system? I am extremely nervous about it.. ive had friends who had problems, one who couldnt pull over fast enough to do the test and it caused some kind of malfunction. She got into a really bad accident with her 2 year old in the back seat. Thankfully both were ok… ive heard so many bad things about the systems. Plus I know its going to cost a lot to put in and keep up. I’m not sure how long he has to have the system put in for either…

armywife
    Participant

I live in IL… queation…If the vehicle is registered in my husbands name, but the insurance is in my name, and he is the one who got the dui, do I still have to get the sr-22 insurance, and the interlock system? I am extremely nervous about it.. ive had friends who had problems, one who couldnt pull over fast enough to do the test and it caused some kind of malfunction. She got into a really bad accident with her 2 year old in the back seat. Thankfully both were ok… ive heard so many bad things about the systems. Plus I know its going to cost a lot to put in and keep up. I’m not sure how long he has to have the system put in for either…

Anonymous

Any vehicle registered to his name, so it can be multiples if so, must get an interlock installed if he chooses to go with that program. With mine, I actually did not have to get sr-22 insurance. I asked multiple times to my case worker and lawyer, etc…. All said I did not. I suggest you do the same.

What number DUI is it for him?
    Where are you located in IL?
    How long ago was it?

Ill help you with ILLinois since it can be a bit confusing and even they are still getting used to the program by their own admission.

Bliddy Boh
    Participant

Any vehicle registered to his name, so it can be multiples if so, must get an interlock installed if he chooses to go with that program. With mine, I actually did not have to get sr-22 insurance. I asked multiple times to my case worker and lawyer, etc…. All said I did not. I suggest you do the same.

What number DUI is it for him?
    Where are you located in IL?
    How long ago was it?

Ill help you with ILLinois since it can be a bit confusing and even they are still getting used to the program by their own admission.

Anonymous

His first. Only thing is he got it in Alaska. And then drove on a revoked Alaskan license.. He got the original DUI in August., got out of the Army and came home and then in October got into an non alcohol related accident. We are still waiting to hear from the court to see if he can even get his license back..

We are located in La Salle county. Near I80.

I plan on asking about the insurance.

And with the new “nothing in your hands” law coming up, how am I suppose to be able to do the breathalizer? Its our only vehicle I can drive and he isnt taking it for work… therefore I am the one who has to use it…

armywife
    Participant

His first. Only thing is he got it in Alaska. And then drove on a revoked Alaskan license.. He got the original DUI in August., got out of the Army and came home and then in October got into an non alcohol related accident. We are still waiting to hear from the court to see if he can even get his license back..

We are located in La Salle county. Near I80.

I plan on asking about the insurance.

And with the new “nothing in your hands” law coming up, how am I suppose to be able to do the breathalizer? Its our only vehicle I can drive and he isnt taking it for work… therefore I am the one who has to use it…

Anonymous

He probably wouldnt have needed sr-22 for just the dui but now that he was in an accident on a revoked license he will most likely need it. Usually for about 3 years.

Make sure whatever provider you choose that it has a detachable handset. Keep it in the house when not in use during the cold and it starts right up. Otherwise the thing can take a few mins to even warm up in the car. Wrapping it in a towel in the car helped a tad too.

I went with smartstart due to going on a planned vacation at the time (3 weeks later) and needed somethign I can remotely unlock the handset in case it messed up. Never had an issue other than the learning curve for the humming sound. People also liked draeger too.

Bliddy Boh
    Participant

He probably wouldnt have needed sr-22 for just the dui but now that he was in an accident on a revoked license he will most likely need it. Usually for about 3 years.

Make sure whatever provider you choose that it has a detachable handset. Keep it in the house when not in use during the cold and it starts right up. Otherwise the thing can take a few mins to even warm up in the car. Wrapping it in a towel in the car helped a tad too.

I went with smartstart due to going on a planned vacation at the time (3 weeks later) and needed somethign I can remotely unlock the handset in case it messed up. Never had an issue other than the learning curve for the humming sound. People also liked draeger too.

thebogger
    Participant

Hello,

I just got DUI Nov while in Indiana. I pleaded guilty and got probation 1yr and told to go get evaluated. I need to plead guilty to get back to work due being lock up over the weekend there. So i need my license for when i am out of town i am IT engineer and i have to travel allot for my Job to complete installs. What is my option to getting an drivers license back? this is my first offense. I had got pulled over for dui before but blew .000 and then judge threw it out court. It still shows on my driving record that i served suspension for six month. I don’t need to drive in IL just when i travel.

Anonymous

Hello,

I just got DUI Nov while in Indiana. I pleaded guilty and got probation 1yr and told to go get evaluated. I need to plead guilty to get back to work due being lock up over the weekend there. So i need my license for when i am out of town i am IT engineer and i have to travel allot for my Job to complete installs. What is my option to getting an drivers license back? this is my first offense. I had got pulled over for dui before but blew .000 and then judge threw it out court. It still shows on my driving record that i served suspension for six month. I don’t need to drive in IL just when i travel.

Bliddy Boh
    Participant

The court portion is the criminal aspect of your DUI. The license getting suspended is a civil matter. Two different penalties in IL. But since you got your DUI in IN you have to find out which state you will be serving your punishment in. SOmetimes if the state you live in is more severe than the state it was received they will allow you to serve it in that state, Ive heard.
    But, if you already served a 6 month suspension you most likely wont be allowed to get an interlock on your car.

Anonymous

The court portion is the criminal aspect of your DUI. The license getting suspended is a civil matter. Two different penalties in IL. But since you got your DUI in IN you have to find out which state you will be serving your punishment in. SOmetimes if the state you live in is more severe than the state it was received they will allow you to serve it in that state, Ive heard.
    But, if you already served a 6 month suspension you most likely wont be allowed to get an interlock on your car.

Kimberly C Haugh
    Participant

I have to get the baiid system in my car, I recently got a DUI and only lost my license for six months. Do I need to get the sr22 insurance if the judge didn’t say anything about it? I’m confused and don’t want to get in trouble.

mhanks77
    Participant

I have to get the baiid system in my car, I recently got a DUI and only lost my license for six months. Do I need to get the sr22 insurance if the judge didn’t say anything about it? I’m confused and don’t want to get in trouble.

Anonymous

Sorry for the late reply. Typically there is a section on your forms for what is court ordered. I got a dui without any sort of property damage. I did not require to get sr-22. Calling the DMV or secretary of state to confirm would be your best bet.

Bliddy Boh
    Participant

Sorry for the late reply. Typically there is a section on your forms for what is court ordered. I got a dui without any sort of property damage. I did not require to get sr-22. Calling the DMV or secretary of state to confirm would be your best bet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.