Home Forums Pennsylvania Motorists Issues Ignition Interlock and Car Warranty

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael 83 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Lee Rolin Taylor
    Participant

I got my 2nd DUI in P.A. April 2012, it was a refusal as I thought somehow that would save me. I had a few but in retrospect i would have been much better served by submitting to testing.Went through everything including 6 months home monitoring, 18 months license suspension, classes, fines, probation and finding out I lost my second amendment rights. All of that is well and good and I probably deserved most of it, as I should have known better. I was 21 when I got my first DUI and 29 for the second. Now, it’s February 2015 and I’m ready to get my limited license back and my car which had been parked for a few years just isn’t going to cut it, can’t get it inspected. I go out last Thursday, February 19th and lease a 2015 honda civic so I have a car other than my wifes to put the IID in. My income took a big hit by the way, so I avoid putting it in all 4 cars in my name (1 being my sisters). Now Im going to be legal to drive again so I can work more and hopefully pay for the new honda. I take the car in for installation of the device, FC 100 from LifeSafer. About half way through the install the techs wife tells me ” oh, by the way this voids your warranty.” By this point it’s too late and I really don’t have another car to put it in anyway. She also tells me not to take it to dealerdhip for oil changes, servicing or inspections until the device is removed and they will be none the wiser. My question is has anyone had experience with this issue? The car has 400 miles on it and is leased. She claims that I can bring it to them for inspection and I’ll just change my own oil. Will this void the warranty truly and will the dealership realize that the ignition system was screwed with after I return it? She claimed the only way they could every know would be if someone tried to add a remote starter after market. Thanks in advance.

Lee Rolin Taylor
    Participant

Also I don’t know about other states but in Pennsylvania you have to have the interlock for the alloted time no matter what to get the license back, ever. You cannot take a year suspension instead, which I probably would have done. So no matter what it had to go in something for a year. Also, the tech told me that the device will surely ruin my battery at some point and it will most definitely need replaced. They also claimed that for a small fee if I need warranty work done they will remove the device secretly and hide the wire so that I may take it to the dealership for the warranty work, but they told me they wouldn’t let me drive it off the lot, I had to have someone else. They said this would save me from having to go through surrendering my license again. It is a Honda Civic so I highly doubt within the first year it will need warranty work, but you never know.

Michael 83
    Participant

Also I don’t know about other states but in Pennsylvania you have to have the interlock for the alloted time no matter what to get the license back, ever. You cannot take a year suspension instead, which I probably would have done. So no matter what it had to go in something for a year. Also, the tech told me that the device will surely ruin my battery at some point and it will most definitely need replaced. They also claimed that for a small fee if I need warranty work done they will remove the device secretly and hide the wire so that I may take it to the dealership for the warranty work, but they told me they wouldn’t let me drive it off the lot, I had to have someone else. They said this would save me from having to go through surrendering my license again. It is a Honda Civic so I highly doubt within the first year it will need warranty work, but you never know.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.