Home Forums Indiana Motorists Issues Do points on your drivers license carry over if the infraction is out of state?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bpc 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Jeffrey M Rich
    Participant

I got a speeding ticket in Indiana in May. The fine is not too bad, so normally I would just pay it.
    But it was for 30 over the limit and in Colo, where I live, that would be a 6 point ticket.
    So I know that Colo and Indiana are both on the compact state act and should share information,
    but will that info to the state DMV add points because of the out of state ticket?

Any insight would be great.

Charles H Rittgers
    Participant

Hi, I am a Colorado licensed driver myself and go back to Indiana frequently. Nice thing, even though Colorado is on the Driver License Compact (DLC) but they only use it if you do a major violation such as a DUI or Reckless Driving but not for minor violations like for speeding. Since your ticket is for speeding, just pay it and that is the last you hear of. Also Colorado signed the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC). The NRVC basically says if you ignore an out of state violation, Colorado will be notified of the failure to pay and Colorado will suspend your license until the fine is paid.

I lived in Colorado for 19 years and gotten many tickets in other states. I paid them and it doesn’t go further than that. I go to the CO-DOR and get my record to make sure. Received tickets in TN, KS, MO, IL, IN and WI. But nothing shows in CO. One item though is Missouri will assess points for violations received in Missouri. Tickets are 3 points there and it takes 8 points to get suspended there (MO). One time had 6 points so had to be careful until one of them dropped off or drive around Missouri. If you get your license suspended by another state, as soon as Colorado gets notified, they will suspend until the out of state suspension is over, therefore avoid that detail.

Also, if you get suspended in a different state but they don’t have info on your Colorado license, when it is time to renew your license, they won’t renew until the other state’s suspension is lifted.

bpc
    Participant

Hi, I am a Colorado licensed driver myself and go back to Indiana frequently. Nice thing, even though Colorado is on the Driver License Compact (DLC) but they only use it if you do a major violation such as a DUI or Reckless Driving but not for minor violations like for speeding. Since your ticket is for speeding, just pay it and that is the last you hear of. Also Colorado signed the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC). The NRVC basically says if you ignore an out of state violation, Colorado will be notified of the failure to pay and Colorado will suspend your license until the fine is paid.

I lived in Colorado for 19 years and gotten many tickets in other states. I paid them and it doesn’t go further than that. I go to the CO-DOR and get my record to make sure. Received tickets in TN, KS, MO, IL, IN and WI. But nothing shows in CO. One item though is Missouri will assess points for violations received in Missouri. Tickets are 3 points there and it takes 8 points to get suspended there (MO). One time had 6 points so had to be careful until one of them dropped off or drive around Missouri. If you get your license suspended by another state, as soon as Colorado gets notified, they will suspend until the out of state suspension is over, therefore avoid that detail.

Also, if you get suspended in a different state but they don’t have info on your Colorado license, when it is time to renew your license, they won’t renew until the other state’s suspension is lifted.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.