Home Forums Drunk/Drugged Driving laws and enforcement difficulty with interlock company (Safeharbor) due to past recent incident

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  interlockUser 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Wayne Glass
    Participant

[size=large]

As of now, I’m lost on how to get out of this big mess due to my car being impounded a few months back. I contacted the interlock company afterwards, explaining and questioning about getting the device removed. Before this incident, I stayed on top of my payments as well as appointments. The device was in my vehicle for about 9 months but I had a signed contract for a year. However, they provided a fee to be able to break the contract and get the device removed. But they were giving me a hard time before they even considered that offer…as well as STILL billing me! They added on fees that should of NOT even been included, based on the terms they stated.

Even though they were most likely just doing their part as a business(I guess you can say….), they could have at least tried to work with me. The first few weeks I called to deal with this they gave me a hard time, as if they weren’t willing to work with me. Honestly, I felt they gave me no effort whatsoever, making it more difficult then it was.

Unfortunately, I was going through other personal issues as well as dealing with this predicament; in that case, I was not able to go consult with anyone in person. I made that predicament clear with both companies (not to mention, I talked to both places, about all of this, more than ONCE). Time passed and the interlock company decided to give me a set amount based off the majority of my bill to get the device. That same week, my parents went to go deal with the interlock comp. in person to see what they had to say, along with making a $500 payment. The worker was not very thorough with what he said but finalized the deal, as if he were sure.

That same day, I provided them with the info they asked for from the impound and from there, I made sure they had what they needed. The rep agreed it was going to be handled and that was all. A couple weeks later, I received several calls about a device checkup, leaving me puzzled and even more frustrated each time! Every single call, I gave them a detailed explanation — and I got a DIFFERENT response each time!!! The last rep that got ahold of me (which was about a month ago…and this has been going on since SEPTEMBER..!!) said what I was telling her wasn’t in their system. Again, I was told to provide them with updated info from the impound. I then called the impound, asking detail on the car. I was told they auctioned off my car, as well as the interlock…the interlock company should have gotten the device while the car was still there when I provided them with the info — 2 MONTHS BEFORE I found out the car’s no longer there…!

AND I’m still getting billed as of today…seriously, it’s some straight up bull altogether. They obviously have a hard time doing their job the right way and surely wont have a problem expecting me pay something that should even exist at this point. I’d highly appreciate any helpful advice from others, especially the ones who’ve had a problem with an interlock company or some decent legal references to give input on my situation.

I am NOT gonna deal with this grimy so called “business” until I get the advice I need elsewhere.. >____<

[/size]

Wow thats a whopper of an ignition interlock story. You got totally screwed. But you could have been more aggressive. Interlock companies are in tight with the State Patrol and the courts. You have NO allies. You should have went to the impound lot and at least removed the handpiece. (I have Draeger and it unplugs like a phone cord) You have access to your vehicle while it was at impound. You could have scheduled a removal appt even though it would have violated something..perhaps a suspended license would have happened. Your state must have a law allowing impound and sale of vehicles from suspended licenses and interlock users. You didnt say why your car was impounded. Its too late now unless you want to pony up the thousands of dollars to hire a lawyer and explain this all to a sympathetic judge. All interlock users should know their state laws about violations and impounding/sale of vehicles. I have thought about just not having a car at all. Uber, cabs, Lyft, buses, seem to almost be better accept for the fact that I love to drive. Sorry all this crap happened to you. The laws aren’t fair or rehabilitative at all…they just make things worse. Jeff

interlockUser
    Participant

Wow thats a whopper of an ignition interlock story. You got totally screwed. But you could have been more aggressive. Interlock companies are in tight with the State Patrol and the courts. You have NO allies. You should have went to the impound lot and at least removed the handpiece. (I have Draeger and it unplugs like a phone cord) You have access to your vehicle while it was at impound. You could have scheduled a removal appt even though it would have violated something..perhaps a suspended license would have happened. Your state must have a law allowing impound and sale of vehicles from suspended licenses and interlock users. You didnt say why your car was impounded. Its too late now unless you want to pony up the thousands of dollars to hire a lawyer and explain this all to a sympathetic judge. All interlock users should know their state laws about violations and impounding/sale of vehicles. I have thought about just not having a car at all. Uber, cabs, Lyft, buses, seem to almost be better accept for the fact that I love to drive. Sorry all this crap happened to you. The laws aren’t fair or rehabilitative at all…they just make things worse. Jeff

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.