- This topic is empty.
02/09/2021 at 1:54 pm #176831794Shelia at NMAParticipant
Immediate Attention: Plan to Attend in September/October at Least One of 13 Virtual Meetings Concerning NYC’s Congestion Pricing Plan
Dear New York City area, New Jersey, and Connecticut NMA Members,
Please plan to attend (to register to speak, click HERE) at least one of the upcoming 13 virtual meetings on NYC Congestion Pricing. Voted in by the NY state legislature in 2019, the city recently received permission to work on the environmental impact of congestion pricing, which is the focus of these meetings.
Congestion pricing for any motorist entering Manhattan below 60th Street is now scheduled to begin in 2023. This will be the first time a US city will use congestion pricing as a funding tool. The impact on motorists and truckers will be immense. Also, residents on any street above 60th Street will be impacted due to an increased need for street parking and other congestion issues. Officials say one of the reasons for this congestion fee is to reduce traffic—does anyone believe that will happen?
This motorist tax will be used solely to help upgrade the city’s aging subway system. The city will likely use surveillance as a way to extract the fee. We all know how accurate that kind of technology is. Details on how much the entry fee will have not yet been determined.
Feedback from the meetings will be part of the required environmental statement, which will take 16 months. Then the plan will likely take another year to implement.
The MTA and its allies argue that the plan will ease traffic and improve the transit system. They are urging the public to participate in the meetings.
To register to speak, the public is advised to visit the MTA’s new Central Business District Tolling web portal at new.mta.info/project/CBDTP.
The hearings will be held virtually at these dates and times:
- Thursday, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to noon: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island
- Thursday, Sept. 23, 6-8 p.m.: Manhattan Central Business District (60th Street and below)
- Friday, Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to noon: New Jersey
- Wednesday, Sept. 29, 10 a.m. to noon: Northern New York City Suburbs
- Wednesday, Sept. 29, 6-8 p.m.: Long Island
- Thursday, Sept. 30, 6-8 p.m.: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island
- Friday, Oct. 1, 1-3 p.m.: Connecticut
- Monday, Oct. 4, 6-8 p.m.: New Jersey
- Tuesday, Oct. 5, 6-8 p.m.: Northern New York City Suburbs
- Wednesday, Oct. 6, 6-8 p.m.: Manhattan Outside the Central Business District (61st Street and above)
Three virtual meetings will focus on environmental justice communities located in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. However, anyone may register to attend any or all of these:
- Thursday, Oct. 7, 6-8 p.m.: New York
- Tuesday, Oct. 12, 6-8 p.m.: New Jersey
- Wednesday, Oct. 13, 6-8 p.m.: Connecticut
Please send this alert to your family and friends. We need every motorists’ voice on this issue.
Thank you for your support of motorists’ rights and the NMA!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.