This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Farheen M Ansari 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Farheen M Ansari
    Participant

There are so many aspects of traffic cameras I find objectionable, especially when you get an infraction notice by mail. But nothing is as heinous and disgusting as a municipality, like here in Arizona, asking you to identify your car’s driver, if it’s not you that appears in the photo they’ve sent. Really? In America? As I understand it, there is no legal requirement for me to implicate myself in any violation or crime, let alone someone else. The burden of proof is the state’s, not mine.

The whole basis of our freedom rests upon the notion that the end does not justify the means. Just because technology exists, doesn’t mean it can be used to usurp our Constitutional rights. And just because cities and towns find the techonology to be advantageous economically, it doesn’t mean we should, as Americans, be denied due process. The fact that they can suspend your driver’s license is pure extortion.

As citizens, we cannot allow this continue. If I received a ticket from an actual officer, I would readily pay it, or if I disagreed with it, I would go to court where presumably I would be able to examine the officer. If the city or town doesn’t have enough police manpower to monitor speeders and red light runners, that’s their problem–not ours. How am I supposed to question a camera? Has anyone in this predicament ever gone the route of issuing subpoeans for everyone involved, i.e. the mayor, police chief, radar manufacturer’s CEO? That would seem appropriate to me under our system of justice. What’s the point of going before a judge or adminstrator with just your ticket in hand? Is that really a fair hearing and adjudication?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.