Home Forums California Motorists Issues Anyway to Change Maximum Speed Limits for Early Hours of Morning

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John Carr 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

KMF
    Participant

Hey there
    So I recently got a speeding ticket going 80mph on the dot (maybe 81mph) heading northbound on the 101 which has a posted 65mph limit. My work hours have me commuting between 4:30am to 6:00am in the morning. When I’m on the road during those hours, I see maybe 20 cars during my 40 mile commute. Literally, the only significant reason I have to not travel at that speed is because I might get a speeding ticket. Otherwise, going 80mph is really no different nor less safe from going 65mph. Not to mention (I could be mistaken, I don’t fully understand everything that went into establishing these speed limits), I believe these speed limits were established with “typical” traffic flow and not accounting for the fact that driving conditions change dramatically during certain hours of the day. And this change that occurs (there being significantly less cars on the road) happens consistently during these “non-typical” hours of the day.

So I don’t see why there are any reasons there can’t be adjusted speed limits to accurately reflect current driving conditions. I have a feeling that getting something like this changed is something that would require a lot of time and possibly money. Both of which is in extremely short demand for most of us so I’m pretty skeptical.
    But if anyone is on board and wants to help to try to get speed limits changed during low traffic flow times (specifically during the early mornings) or can at least suggest a good first step, I’m open to any suggestions.

John Carr

To start, write a letter or call your state lawmakers and ask for the freeway speed limit to be raised. The 65 mph speed limit is not set for any particular conditions. It’s the limit set by law unless Caltrans takes action to change it. Their policy is not to raise speed limits to 70 on suburban freeways, only in very rural areas. Even 101 south of San Jose is still 65, when it could legally be 70 and should be 75+. If the statutory speed limit were 70, you’d find most freeways ended up posted 70 because most of them do not qualify for a lower speed limit.

Once the regular speed limit is set appropriately for midday traffic, then you can see if you still need variable speed limits. I should warn you that the usual policy for setting variable speed limits is to reduce them during busy periods but not to raise them during light traffic periods.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.