Home Forums Discuss NMA Issues 85 mph Toll Road

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tommy1 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Read an excerpt in our local paper today about the Texas toll road speed limits. This was the portion that concerned me: ” A 2009 study published in the American Journal of Public Health calculated that when the federal government allowed states to boost their limits from 55 mph to 65 mph, doing so produced more than 12,000 additional highway deaths over the following decade.”

I believe this number is probably correct, but failed to clarify the additional deaths were due to many more million miles traveled in the time span. Most of the data I’ve read indicate fewer deaths per million miles every year since the 55 mph was eliminated.

Anonymous

I drove on the 85 mph express tollway a week ago, actually it was quite nice. From what I understand, this is the only toll road in Texas with this speed limit. There are other places in Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph like the stretch of I-10 running through west Texas to El Paso. B)

tommy1
    Participant

I drove on the 85 mph express tollway a week ago, actually it was quite nice. From what I understand, this is the only toll road in Texas with this speed limit. There are other places in Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph like the stretch of I-10 running through west Texas to El Paso. B)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.