Home Forums Nevada Motorists Issues 80 mph in Nevada!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shelia at NMA 1 month ago.

• Author

Shelia at NMA
    Participant

80 mph in Rural Nevada–about time! What are your views on this one?

Cyndi
    Participant

Prior to August 9, 2017 I would have said, “great” to your post. However, on August 9, 2017 I was driving westbound on I-80 about 10-15 miles past Lovelock. The speed sign said 80 MPH. “Great,” I thought (former Nevada resident). That was until I noticed the road was wet, but it was not raining at that point, I reduced my speed down to 70 MPH, unfortunately that was not enough. My car hit a large standing pool of water in the middle of my lane. My car hydroplaned into the left lane (fortunately no other vehicles were close enough to be hit by my hydroplaning vehicle), flew off the interstate and rolled into the ditch separating east and west bound lanes. The next day at the hospital, the state trooper informed me that I did everything right that I could possibly do. He did not give me a ticket. He said hydroplaning is a big problem on NV Interstates. He said the problem is that Nevada Interstates are not engineered to drain rain water adequately. The interstate at that area had to be temporarily closed after my accident to allow for the water to drain. I researched “hydroplane accidents on Nevada Interstates” and was sadly surprised to find inadequate water drainage systems are a real problem for Nevada drivers as the officer said. Beware when driving 80 MPH on Nevada Interstates, pools of water can not be seen. Even if the raining had stopped long before.

Shelia at NMA
    Participant

Dear Cyndi,

I am sorry to hear about your accident and appreciate your story and warning to other drivers. When I was 6 I lived in Las Vegas with my parents for a year and I remember it raining like cats and dogs every once in a while but as soon it was done, the sun would come out and it seemed within 10 minutes the rain water simply evaporated.

Sounds like the state was trying to cut corners in not providing proper drainage of highways. Does not help give solace though to those who are harmed because of it.

Keep on safe driving!

Shelia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.