Home Forums Traffic Stops & Law Enforcement "Super Speeder" Fine in Georgia UPDATE Re: “Super Speeder” Fine in Georgia

Dianna
Participant

Same story -May 6, 2013 – on my way to Florida. Pulled over in Conyers, GA. – Turner County. First ever speeding ticket – states I was going 85 in a 70 – NO WAY. I looked down at my speedometer when I saw the officer shooting radar on the side of the interstate and I was going 81. I immediately pulled my foot off of the accelerator thus my car was slowing down from 81. Yes, this was speeding but I figured I was okay due to I was in the middle lane and was being passed in the fast lane by a thousand cars! He pulls out and my husband said, “Here he comes and he’s going after that truck that just flew passed us.” WRONG…he pulls in behind me. I pulled over and he claims I was going 85. I told him that I was going 81 according to my speedometer and he says nothing. He takes my license and heads back to his patrol car. A few minutes later he hands me a ticket. I was pissed because he insisted I was going 85. I asked him how much it would be and he just pointed to a phone # on the back of the ticket and told me to call in about 10 days. I did just that and was told I had to pay $282.00. I nearly threw up over the phone. $282.00!!! Like every else, I paid it because it would have cost me alot more to make a trip from Chattanooga, TN. to Conyers, GA. to go to court. Yesterday, I get this SS bill in the mail. I too thought it was a scam. I called the phone # and a lady informed me it was no scam and the money was being used to support the new trauma center at Grady Memorial in Atlanta – nice thought but I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY that it’s being used for that! I’ve been given till September 2013 to pay or my license gets revoked. Is Georgia crazy!
PLEASE INCLUDE ME IN ON THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IF IT’S PURSUED!
Dianna Blackburn – 423-240-9281 or 423-886-3638 or email me – diannablackburn@hotmail.com or write: 2425 Corral Rd., Signal Mtn.,TN. 37377