Home Forums Traffic Stops & Law Enforcement "Super Speeder" Fine in Georgia UPDATE Re: “Super Speeder” Fine in Georgia

Lynnwood
Participant

Good Afternoon –

My experience is similar to those previously posted. I moved to Georgia in October 2010. In March of 2011 I was stopped for speeding. I was doing 89 mph in a 55 mph zone (I mistakenly thought it was 70 mph speed zone). I received my ticket and was told it fell within the parameters of the Georgia Super Speeder Law. I missed the deadline and subsequently paid the fine late and had to go to court even though I paid the over $500 fine online. My paperwork had been misplaced and I spent hours at the courthouse while they figured everything out. Once that was taken care of I had to make numerous phone calls and send a fax to Florida’s Department of Motor Vehicles Division of Driver’s License in order to get my licensed reinstated. I thought to myself. That was that. I had paid over $600 but I had a valid license to show for it. So . . . fast forward to today. I finally make it to the office of Georgia’s Department of Driver Services to transfer my Florida driver’s license for a Georgia license. The clerk, informed me that I already had a Georgia driver’s license. There certainly must be some mistake I informed him. I had never lived in Georgia before. Apparently a license was “created” when I paid my ticket in order to set up the additional $200 Super Speeder fine and that if I did not pay it by 3/6/12 my newly issued Georgia license would be suspended. WHAT? I just paid over $600 which I thought included the Super Speeder fine because surely a speeding ticket could not itself be over $500 right? What about notice? Well the main DDS office which I called assured me that I was sent a notice in November. A notice I never received. So Miss Hansen, if you are sincere in obtaining names for a class action suit please add my information to the list. My contact information is as follows:

Lynnwood Sterling
2532 Wildflower Court
Acworth, Georgia 30101

305-301-0130
lsterling@mail.com

I hope to hear from you soon.