Special Announcement: Are you fighting a road diet or traffic calming project in your city? If you have the time and money, we encourage you to attend the Keep LA Moving Conference on October 5th in Los Angeles. Shelia Dunn, your humble War on Cars Watch editor, will be presenting and we hope that getting together will help those move further in their fight against city hall. Check out the conference HERE.
Due to the conference, the War on Cars Watch will return on October 16, 2019 with a special report.
The War on Cars Watch is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. The War on Cars Watch focuses on road diets, traffic calming and programs such as Vision Zero and Complete Streets as well as studies, court cases, and other news that affect motorists.
We would love to hear from you about the War on Cars Watch. Please feel free to comment below the post.
War on Cars Watch Story of the Week
National War on Cars Watch Stories
Two opinion pieces discuss a driver’s need for speed and how that might be changing with a new generation:
- Speed Is Killing the Planet. Time to Focus on Efficiency
- Chasing Tactility in an Era of Ubiquitous Horsepower
Millions Could Be Turned Away When They Show Up For Flights; Real ID Deadline Looms –the deadline is October 2020!
How environmental warning labels at gas pumps could change our transportation culture (War on Cars Watch) –Unbelievable commentary—who writes this stuff?
International War on Cars Watch Stories
- British Columbia Province municipalities seek power to lower speed limits
- Canada: New Highway Speed Limit Can Actually Be Dangerous If People Drive Too Slow Ontario PP Warns
- Bogotá, Columbia’s Vision Zero Road Safety Plan Is Saving Lives (Vision Zero Watch)
- Instead Of A Ticket, Some Speeders In Estonia Are Getting A Time Out
- The Netherlands: ‘Cut maximum speed limit to 100kph everywhere’ says expert
- Lessons From a Car-Free Street Fight in London (War on Cars Watch) –same thing is happening in the states!
Local and Regional War on Cars Watch Stories
- Angelenos Are Quitting Their Jobs Because Of Commute Times
- Viewpoint: San Diego Association of Governments or SANDAG Can’t See the Future for the Cars (War on Cars Watch)
- Quick Build Road Diet Initiative Transforming the Streets of San Francisco (Vision Zero Watch)
- Cedar Falls, Iowa City leaders present new downtown ‘Vision Plan’ and ask for input (War on Cars Watch)
- Missouri: Defying veto, SGF lawmaker still pushing for license suspension for minor traffic offenses
- NJ/NY Port Authority votes to raise tolls, fares and fees at bridges, trains, airports (NMA Mention)
- New York City’s Vision Zero ‘Right of Way’ law is constitutional, appeals court rules (Vision Zero Watch)
- NYC: Battle Over Park Slope Bike Lane Gets Physical (War on Cars Watch)
- NYC: Street Safety Rally Pushes New Laws For Cyclists Promising Better Bike Lanes, Limits On Commercial Waste Haulers (War on Cars Watch)
- NYC: 14th Street busway gets the green light from judges (War on Cars Watch)
- Just-Completed Bike Lanes on Providence, Rhode Island’s Eaton Street to be Removed (War on Cars Watch) (video report) –What a waste of taxpayer’s money!
- Texas Cop Caught Falsifying Speeding Tickets
- Austin, Texas: Eliminating traffic deaths by 2025 a remote possibility, city audit finds –My prediction: more cities will make the determination that Vision Zero Programs promise much but also cost too much!
- Mayor Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan’s 2020-21 budget would increase bike lane, Vision Zero, Northgate Bridge funds (Vision Zero Watch)
That’s this week’s War on Car Watch post. If you find a story online about the War on Cars, please feel free to email the URL to me at email@example.com.
Be Safe Out There,
NMA Communications Director
Here are a few NMA Blog Posts that might interest you: