The War on Cars Watch is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. The War on Cars Watch focuses on road diets, traffic calming and programs such as Vision Zero and Complete Streets as well as studies, court cases, and other news that affect motorists.
All comments are those of Shelia Dunn, NMA Communications Director and editor/curator of this blog.
We love to hear from you about the War on Cars Watch. Please feel free to comment below the post.
War on Cars Watch Story of the Week
- The Antiplanner Update: Vision Zero Isn’t Working –This is in response to the response (and very wrong) City Lab post about the efficacy of vision zero in five US cities.
National War on Cars Watch Stories
- Suburbs try Vision Zero to protect walkers and cyclists on roads designed for vehicles (Vision Zero Watch) –RESIST!!!!!!!
- Best Practices: Five Vision Zero Tips for Suburbs (Vision Zero Watch)
- For Middle-Class Shoppers, New Cars Are Moving out of Reach
International War on Cars Watch Stories
- Montreal SUV owners to pay more for parking in the Plateau-Mont-Royal borough
- Quebec forces drivers to have winter tires. But does that make roads safer?
- Iran’s security forces shot and killed ‘rioters’ in gas price protests, state TV reports
Regional and Local War on Cars Watch Stories
- How Los Angeles plans to get hundreds of thousands of people out of cars
- Where traffic doesn’t take a day off: These Bay Area freeways see terrible congestion on weekends too
- Opinion: Transportation plan should prioritize climate and cities, not cars (War on Cars Watch)
- Road Diets and Roundabouts discussed in New Haven, Connecticut –As mentioned in the article, the streets are not conducive to road diets, so make sure they don’t happen!
- Florida: Government Audit Documents Toll Road Nightmare
- Pensacola’s West Cervantes plan must include narrowed lanes, slower speed limits (Plan unveiled at December 10th Meeting)
- Commentary: Speed limits don’t do what you think they do –nice editorial from the middle of the country!
- Chicago parking most expensive in U.S. (video report) –not surprised with all the past parking shenanigans in Chicago with privatizing the whole damn system!
- New York City Ignores $300K Per Year in Fines to Delivery Truckers in Bike Lanes
- NYC: Brooklyn Heights Group Wants to Break the Car Culture, Nix Lanes on Rebuilt BQE, Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (War on Cars Watch)
- Pittsburgh residents concerned about new speed humps
- NMA PA Member Letter-to-the-Editor: Safety or money? Don’t let the Legislature Pass SB607, the speed trap bill
- VDOT Change Could Put Alexandria Bus and Bicycle-Pedestrian Improvements at Risk (Vision Zero Watch)
That’s this week’s War on Car Watch blog. If you find a story online about the War on Cars, please feel free to email the URL to me at email@example.com.
Check out the NMA Facebook Page called the War on Cars Watch!
Be Safe Out There,
NMA Communications Director
P.S. Here are a few NMA Blog Posts that might interest you: