Welcome to the War on Cars Watch, a weekly blog to bring together all the stories that affect motorists with regards to street planning such as road diets, and traffic calming as well as programs such as Vision Zero and Complete Streets.
Please read this blog and let us know what you think by commenting below! Check out the NMA’s War on Cars Watch Facebook Page where we feature a story a day!
NMA Communications Director Shelia Dunn compiles the list and NMA California member Michael Jabbra comments throughout the list. See the MJ notations.
Feel free to comment on stories in the comment section after the blog post. Also, if you have read a news article that fits this category, please feel free to send us the URL at email@example.com.
Headlines from August 1-6, 2019
- US Bill Seeks to End Racial, Religious Profiling by Police
- Driving Into Debt: Americans Owe $1.2 Trillion on Auto Loans
- Car dealers struggle to sell 2018 new-car inventory to make room for 2020 cars
- 3D sidewalks can result in ‘unsafe behavior,’ says FHWA (Vision Zero Watch)
- Viewpoint: US Congress Tackles the “100-Mile” Border Zone for Federal Checkpoints
MJ: Ending the war on drugs – that is, legalizing every drug, not just marijuana – would go a long way to restoring order in the Latin American countries. That in turn would ease pressure on the U.S. border.
- Criminal Forfeiture Requires Actual Criminal Activity
- Driving while Black: police continue to profile, stop and search African-American Drivers
- Opinion: Why Bill de Blasio’s ‘Vision Zero for the Nation’ Shouldn’t be Laughed off (Vision Zero Watch)
MJ: Nothing is perfect. There is never going to be zero traffic deaths and zero vehicle collisions. The other problem is that there will always be a large difference between urban and rural needs. Broadly speaking, one of the reasons for the urban vs. rural divide in the United States is that most of the political power is concentrated in the cities, and decisions affecting the rural areas are made by people who, by and large, have never been out to those areas. Bill de Blasio might be more popular if he would let people make their own transportation decisions.
- Higher Vehicle Efficiency Possible But U.S. Buyers Not Interested
- This Startup Wants to Tame the Chaos of City Street Parking
MJ: Maybe the startup does want to “tame the chaos.” It also wants to make money. This isn’t altruism.
- Study: Parking lots present high risk of injury, death in children due to lack of attention
- Study: Drivers Behave More Dangerously Around Women Cyclists
- These 20 vehicles are the most stolen new cars in the U.S.
- Is Distracted Biking Illegal?
- Australia starts on-road trials of Road User Charge or RUC system for heavy vehicles
- Australia’s national road safety strategy hits a wall
- Kuwait City: If caught speeding, 48 hours in jail plus vehicle seized
- Bangkok, Thailand daytime truck ban, higher speed limit proposed
National and International Mobility as a Service or MaaS
- Editorial: How much responsibility do scooter companies have for the bad behavior of their users? A lot
- Electric scooters are good for the environment, right? Here’s why it’s not so simple
- Ford dives further into urban transit
- Toyota spreads its bets across the transportation spectrum
- Turning rental car data into dollars
- How Much Traffic Do Uber and Lyft Cause?
- Uber, Lyft use data to argue that rideshares do not affect local traffic
- Robotaxi timing complicates designs for public spaces
- The Uber and Lyft Drivers Who Call Their Cars Home
- Lyft Adopts New Policies After Drag Queens Refused Rides
- How Lyft lost the trust of #DeleteUber women who thought it was ‘woke’
- Lyft Offers Driverless Vehicle Data to the Public
- Will Uber ever make money? Day of reckoning looms for ride-sharing firm
- Lyft bikes caught fire in Berkeley, San Jose before two reported in San Francisco
- China: Beijing cleared away 400,000 shared bikes in first half of year
- New study shows where California stands on traffic fatalities
- Uber and Lyft Hate This CA Bill (AB5)
- 393 vehicle-started wildfires reported in Butte County, CA from 2012-2018
- Alameda, CA’s Clement Avenue Road Diet Moving Forward (War on Cars Watch)
- In Davis, a New Bike/Ped Safety Project Is Blamed for Heavy Traffic (War on Cars Watch)
- Poorly painted traffic lines at Ladera Heights intersection invite chaos (video report)
- A Los Angeles without gas stations?
- Los Angeles reinstates ban on sleeping overnight in cars
- Viewpoint: Lessons of Los Angeles’s Transit Tax: Money Isn’t Everything (War on Cars Watch)
- Los Angeles: Atwater Village Braces for Fletcher Road Diet (Vision Zero Watch)
- These Sidewalk Stencils Aim To Curb Los Angeles Scooter Scofflaws’ Bad Riding
- Repairing Your Car in Your Own Garage Is Considered Illegal in Sacramento, California
- Deadline reached for San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s scooter company ultimatum
- San Franciscans stuck at work, in traffic longer than almost any city
- The Californians forced to live in cars and RVs
- California Op-Ed: Rude cyclists are terrorizing Sausalito
MJ: Cyclists don’t emit any carbon, so all their sins are forgiven by urban planners and environmentalists.
- Road rage calls are in the thousands in Colorado
- A change to Colorado’s DUI testing system has stoked fears of dropped cases and could shutter a private business
- Denver’s plan for bicycles is moving faster, but it could still take 18 years
- First full year of scooters in Denver comes with some complaints
- Denver: Electric scooters are not allowed on highways but video shows two people cruising down U.S. 6
- East Colfax bus-rapid transit could be nearly a decade away as Denver scrapes for money
District of Columbia
- D.C. Renews Push For Downtown Congestion Tax
- D.C. kicks off pilot program to manage curbside deliveries via digital platform
- Midtown collision marks third e-scooter rider killed in Atlanta this year
- Opinion: Atlanta mayor’s e-scooter crackdown is misguided
- Chicago: Top e-scooter complaints include riding on the sidewalk and improper parking
- Crackdown, New Enforcement Methods Coming For ‘Move Over’ Law On Illinois Roads
- Fake ride-share driver cleans out bank accounts of victims in Loop, River North, Chicago authorities say
- New Orleans: Algiers and Central Business District or CBD will see bike lanes soon under new vision (War on Cars Watch)
- We Require Too Much Parking. These Boston Planners Found Out Exactly How Much. (War on Cars Watch)
- Somerville, MA Placates Parkers, But Emphasizes that Powder House still have a road diet and traffic calming (War on Cars Watch)
MJ: We need this here in California!! Of course, the traffic is so bad that it wouldn’t make much difference most of the time anyway.
- ACLU of Nebraska says low numbers of law enforcement get specific training to combat racial profiling
- Central Park West condo board sues NYC over bike lane plans
- New York City Wins Court Decision and Quickly Bans Parking on 18-Block Stretch of Central Park West
- War On Cars Watch: Council Speaker Corey Johnson says Cars shouldn’t be the ‘king of the road’ in NYC
- Brooklyn: It’s Not About Buses, It’s About Respect: A Heated Meeting Over Church Avenue Parking
- Brooklyn residents outraged over Department of Transportation plan that quietly eliminated daytime parking in parts of the city
- Queens councilman wants to trade parking spots for bike lanes in Long Island City (War on Cars Watch)
- NYC: Scooter Company Revel Sued by Cyclist Who Was Hit By One of its Many Untrained Scooter Drivers
- NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio Calls For ‘Higher Penalties’ For Drivers Who Kill (Vision Zero Watch)
- NYC Op-Ed: We’ve Blamed Traffic Deaths on Bicyclists Since 1880. What about Drivers? (War on Cars Watch)
- NYC DOT Chief discussed the vision for Vision Zero (Vision Zero Watch)
- NYC Viewpoint: Uber and Lyft Drivers Almost Always Park in Bike Lanes
- NYC Op-Ed: Want Safe, Bikeable Streets? Get Rid of Free Parking, as Amsterdam Did (War on Cars Watch)
- NY Editorial: How Many Bad Drivers Are There in New York State? DMV Doesn’t Know — And Doesn’t Seem to Care! (War on Cars Watch)
- The Criminal Justice System Is Bad For Your Health, Warns New York City’s Health Department
- Luzerne County Drivers Turning to Facebook to Avoid Speed Traps
- Why Philly’s traffic lights still aren’t synchronized — and won’t be anytime soon
- A racial profiling incident by PA state police has consequences for all involved and the public trust
- Dallas Mayor Defends State Patrols After Accusations Of Over-Policing In South Dallas
- More funding sources brought into ongoing Harris County mobility study, increasing stakes for future road projects
MJ: This is good! Not everything can be done for home, but encouraging more working at home for government and private sector employees alike will alleviate traffic and reduce emissions – not to mention the reduction in stress that comes from less driving.
- The surprising effect marijuana legalization has on police traffic searches
- Highway deaths in Vermont are way down this year (so far)