If you are aware of technologies that enable information sharing in real-time, you might probably have come across the term V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) technology.
This is where vehicles are equipped with technologies that enable communication with different entities, just like the BMW you watched being pulled by a smartphone as if it was remotely controlled.
Or car scenes from movies like; Mission Impossible, in which a small handy device controlled the cars.
According to a recent study by Statista, the market for Car-to- X is expected to grow to $6 billion by 2025. This is a growth of around $5.2 billion in just seven years, with the base year as 2018. The V2X market was around $700 million in 2020 and was projected to increase to $12.8 billion, as reported by Markets’ report.
This comes directly as a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 44.2 percent in just about eight years from 2020 to 2028. You have experienced it in the form of iOS’ CarPlay and Android Auto services for auto vehicles.
Origin of Car-To-X Technology
Unlike today, automation was limited to cruise control and antilock braking system installed in domestic cars during the starting days.
However, with the increasing technological influence, the safety features were broadened to blind-spot detection, electronic stability control, lane shift warnings, and collisions.
Along with these features, the origin of Car-to-X communication proves to be a revolution in automating the automobile industry.
The IEEE was the first institute in the world to specify the usage of the WLAN-based V2X system in 2010. It facilitates vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication between different cars and infrastructure. This technology of communication is also known as Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC).
In 2016, Toyota became the first automobile manufacturer to launch a car with a V2X system. This car was initially launched in Japan and was permitted to be used in Japan only. After them in the same year, GM launches their V2X car in America.
Technological advancements are a part of human society. From many years, the scientist and technologists are working for the development of technology for human convenience.
The purpose of Car-To-X technology was also to increase human luxury. This technology can reduce the accident rates to a minimum and also supports traveling long distances. The following set of information showcases what this communication system can exchange.
- It can trade information with traffic infrastructure like traffic lights and other vehicles around.
- It can provide other drivers with warning signs.
- Can receive hazard warning and can even locate the hazard location.
- The alerts are in the form of audio and video.
- Alert notification regarding heavy traffic congestion.
- Detect vehicle approaching from a different direction.
How Safe is it?
V2V communication is considered revolutionary for the automobile industry. Self-driving vehicles and much other advancement are being made in the vehicles. But, the main concern is safety. Many people belong to the school of thought that is completely against self-driving cars on the road.
Succeeding are the defensive points made by the school of thought supporting the safety of automated vehicles.
- The first point is the internet of things. The whole vehicle works based on AI and the internet. People claim that if it is unworthy, then the whole digitalization system can be unreliable. Moreover, the modern version of V2V communication also involves the traffic infrastructure in the network. Conclusively, it can communicate with traffic lights, traffic control towers, and road maps. This additional feature is considered to exempt any proportionality of distrust on the vehicles.
- The sophistication in the sensor technology supports the Car-to-X technology inclusion possible. These cars can detect danger or any hazard and can stop immediately, even at a higher speed. These sensors work as a radar system and can prevent accidents.
- The collaboration between the Car-to-X and mobile applications will initiate the self-parking facility in the vehicles. These cars can be operated through a smartphone with the help of an application. You can drive back the car to your current location without any hassle.
Concluding the above defensive points, it is clear that self-driving cars are secure to be used. However, few glitches in the system were reported, but it is still better than human drivers.
An automobile giant like Mercedes is working on establishing its traffic infrastructure to connect its vehicles. With the inclusion of these cars in the market, safety will be more strengthened.
Are We Giving Control to a Robot
It is difficult to answer that either we are completely giving control to the robot or not. This is because; there are different levels of self-driving and automated vehicles. Every level provides different features ranging from semi-automated to fully-automated.
See the following illustration that depicts the different levels of car automation.
Considering these features, from level zero to level two is the acceptable automaton, whereas, from level 3, we are giving complete control to the robots.
The famous writer Isaac Asimov forwarded thee laws regarding robot inclusion in the human world. According to him;
- A robot should not be capable of harming any human being. Or through inaction, support any harm to them.
- The robots must obey all the orders given by a human until it collides with the first law.
- A robot must be able to protect them until it collides with the first and second law.
Experts believe that robots working on the laws mentioned above are positive to be included in society. Therefore, self-driving or V2V communication can be considered constructive for society.
Pros and Cons
Everything has two sides to the story they want to share and the other they want to hide. So let’s bring in the skeletons within the closets out to judge the advantages and disadvantages of V2X technologies:
- Fuel efficiency and cost-effective driving
- Service-related reminders provided to the driver
- Ability to send important notifications to the user
- Numerous safety features for both internal and external hazards
- All connections require connectivity either to satellite or local wireless internet
- People think of it as an invasion of their privacy, and why not cars are meant to be enjoyed
- If a system fails, the victim becomes another study source material for Elon Musk
- Faulty communications can cause even greater havoc, and too much is at risk
The V2X is the latest development in the automobile industry. It is the effort to connect vehicle with others electronic gadgets for improving driving experience. However, majority of people consider it being handicapped by the robots.
In my opinion, V2X technology cannot be an intelligent driver-assist system. This is because it will require 100 percent of fast pace internet coverage of at least twice the required amount so that it can still lag without losing connectivity.
Stella Lincoln currently works as the Assistant Editor at Crowd Writer. This is where higher education students can pay for essay UK in order to obtain specialized assistance for their subjects and topics. During her free time, she likes to surf the internet for the latest developments in the world of tech.