The Ticket Cam Alert is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. We want to bring the issues of automated traffic enforcement and street/in-car surveillance to our supporters
Please feel free to comment below the post.
Trending this Week
Assault on Illinois Red-Light Cameras Continues—more pressure now put on the state legislature.
Much criticism and support came her way with editorials:
- Who should decide on the evils of red-light cameras?
- The reckoning on Red-Light Cameras in Illinois
- Red-light racket coming apart
Mendoza fired back with her own editorial: As Illinois comptroller, I have the right to stop collecting unpaid red-light camera fines
The red-light camera company, SafeSpeed, fired back too.
To throw water on the fire, the new Chicago transportation chief says that the city’s red-light camera network should stay.
Editorials from around North America
- Automated License Plate Readers: Are We Sacrificing Privacy For Security?
- Canada Opinion: Photo Radar is Proof Governments Don’t Care about Civil Rights
- Denver Opinion: Fines don’t stop red-light runners, but fixing engineering flaws does
- Iowa Editorial: A questionable decision on red-light camera tickets (and on public checks and balances)
- Maryland Editorial | Your license plate used to track you
- Yonkers, NY: Are Red-Light Cameras Endangering People’s Lives?
Headlines from around North America
- Special Interest Groups Push Repeal Of Federal Speed Camera Funding Ban
- British Columbia, Canada: Speed enforcement added to intersection cameras at five locations in Vancouver and Surrey
Automated License Plate Readers or ALPRs
- California: Alameda to Install License Plate Cameras, Not Without Hesitation
- Florida: Cape Coral and Naples to add license plate readers at entrances and exits to the city
- Ohio: Parma adding second license plate reader at busy State Road intersection
- Facial Recognition and Corporate Surveillance Become Commonplace
- Portland, Maine: Maybe Third Time’s the Charm for Facial Recognition Vote
Red-Light and Speed Cameras
Hashtags: #TicketCamAlertUSA and #TicketCamAlert(Insert Your State Here)
- City of Buffalo activated new camera system to catch school-zone speeders
- Streetsblog Viewpoint: New York City Not Using Its Single Best Tool to Crack Down on Reckless Cabbies — Cameras!
- Ohio Attorney General Wants Photo Ticket Hearings Shut Down
- Toledo defends traffic camera appeals process
- Pennsylvania deploys technology to slow drivers down in construction zones
- Automated Speed Enforcement Has Begun In Pennsylvania (NMA mention)
- Tennessee: Bluff City speed cameras’ shutdown to create revenue hole – mayor says safety was main priority
Other Surveillance News
NMA Resources to fight against Ticket Cams and other Street and In-Car Surveillance
NMA Issue Pages:
We are currently building a closed Facebook Group called the ATE Racket Report Discussion Group for local and state activists to have a space to discuss best practices and ask questions.
Also, here are a number of NMA Blogs posts that might be of interest!
- 10 Reasons to Oppose Red-Light Cameras
- How to fight Red-Light Cameras in Your Neck of the Woods
- Build a Ballot Petition Campaign against Red-Light Cameras
- The “Gold Standard” for Red-Light Camera Accident Analysis
- The Truth About Speed Cameras: They Don’t Work
- Ticket Cameras Create Major Due Process Concerns