By Shelia Dunn, NMA Communications Director
The Ticket Cam Alert is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. We want to bring the issues of automated traffic enforcement to our supporters.
Please feel free to comment below the post.
The Newspaper.com reported this week Speed Cameras Shut Down Around The World Over Coronavirus. Not so much in the United States. If many state governments ask its citizens to shelter in place, please stop the automated traffic tickets. Providence, RI has stopped their speed cameras in school zones since school is not in session. New York City officials, of course, say they won’t stop speed cameras despite school closings even though a number of residents are urging the city to shut down speed cameras while schools are closed. My guess—they won’t…want the cash no matter what!
Here are the many reasons to shut down automated cameras in general:
- Ticket cameras do not improve safety
- There is no certifiable witness to the alleged offense
- Ticketed recipients are not adequately nor quickly notified
- The driver of the vehicle is not positively identified
- These devices discourage the synchronization of traffic lights
- Cameras do not prevent most intersection accidents and taking photos of dangerous drivers do not stop them
- Better alternatives to street safety than cameras
- Ticket camera systems are designed to inconvenience drivers
In NYC, it is almost impossible to fight a speed or red-light camera ticket. Before the crisis, court cases generally took place six months after the ticket was issued. If the city stopped issuing tickets (for good), the backlog would be stymied. Ironically, bike accidents are up since the COVID-19 crisis began.
Here are the other Top Five Ticket Cam Alert USA stories or editorials of the week:
- Motorists Sue Over DC Speed Camera Trap
- Buffalo, NY Editorial: Lower school speed limit at midday serves no purpose but to impose fines
- Butler County, OH judge bucks trend in speed camera lawsuits: What to know
- PA Advocate Letter-to-the-Editor: Work zone speed cameras nothing but a money grab
- Pennsylvania Op-Ed: The Issue with Automated Speed Enforcement
NMA Resources to fight against Ticket Cams and other Street and In-Car Surveillance
NMA Issue Pages:
We are currently building a closed Facebook Group called the Ticket Cam Alert USA Discussion Group for local and state activists to have a space to discuss best practices and ask questions.
Also, here are a number of NMA Blogs posts that might be of interest!
- 10 Reasons to Oppose Red-Light Cameras
- How to fight Red-Light Cameras in Your Neck of the Woods
- Build a Ballot Petition Campaign against Red-Light Cameras
- The “Gold Standard” for Red-Light Camera Accident Analysis
- The Truth About Speed Cameras: They Don’t Work
- Ticket Cameras Create Major Due Process Concerns