In this week’s Car of the Future Weekly Roundup
- Ridesharing has been found to be more expensive than owning a car
- MaaS will become more Popular than owning a car
- Humans must Take Active Role in AV Safety
Click on the colored title to see the full story
NMA Car of the Future Stories of the Week
AAA study finds car ownership far cheaper than ride-hailing
For most, full-time Uber, Lyft use is more than twice the cost of owning.
Mobility Services Becoming More Popular as Alternatives to Vehicle Ownership, According to Study
The study found that consumers’ attitudes about the necessity of vehicle ownership are gradually changing. Access to mobility is necessary but owning a vehicle is not, according to 39 percent of respondents, which represents a 4-percentage point increase over 2015 results. For urban consumers, 57 percent indicate access to mobility is more important than vehicle ownership, a 13-point increase since 2015.
Humans must take active role in self-driving safety, report says
“As autonomous vehicle technology advances, states still must invest in programs to prioritize safe travel behavior.”
Latest Editorial and Opinion Pieces
- New autonomous vehicle technology can halt drunk driving, but should it?
- Too Drunk to Ride? Ride-Sharing Services May Drop Loyal Clients
This week’s Biggest Stories
- Baidu and Mobileye join forces to focus on driverless car technology
- Exclusive first interview with Bentley boss Adrian Hallmark
- Ford Releases ‘A Matter of Trust’ Report on Autonomous Vehicles
- GM’s 3-D Printed Seat Bracket Heralds a future of Cheaper, Better Cars
- Move over, Elon Musk: Kalashnikov unveils ‘electric supercar’
- Toyota invests $500 million in Uber, expands self-driving car partnership
- Uber boss says company to focus more on bikes and less on cars
- Uber Is Finally Growing Up
- VW will invest $4 billion to build digital businesses
- Waymo wants to test its self-driving car tech in China
- Waymo’s Robot Cars, and the Humans Who Tend to Them
International, National, Local, and State
- Dealers mobilize to protect their margins from automaker subscription services
- Mobile driver’s licenses present massive opportunity for biometric technology providers
- American Center for Mobility report says AVs will create a shift in workforce demands
Local and State
- Self-driving cars face a long road to becoming transportation’s future
- The Trend in Public Awareness Regarding Autonomous Vehicles
- Self-driving cars will destroy a lot of jobs—they’ll also create a lot
- What is 4-D imaging radar? And why might it be the key to cars with full autonomy?
- This military tech could finally help self-driving cars master snow
- Worried about ride-sharing safety issues? Here are some tips to staying safe
- Gig economy demands raise risk of crashing for drivers for companies like Uber and Amazon
- Getaround car-share service raises $300 million in new funding round
- Uber and Lyft are increasing car traffic in Seattle. How much? 94 million miles
Electric, Hybrids and Other Alternatively Fueled Vehicles
Flying Cars and Drones
- Boeing, Airbus, Uber join Japanese consortium to develop flying cars
- Austin, Texas police to use drones for fatal traffic crashes
- 4 Reasons You Need to Be Responsible With Tech in Your Car
- Mercedes-Benz Digital Light LED headlights display messages on the road
* * *
The Car of the Future Weekly Roundup is sponsored by the NMA Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting your interests as a motorist and citizen through the multi-faceted approach of research, education, and litigation. The Foundation is able to offer this assistance through tax-deductible contributions.
* * *
If you are interested in learning more about the Car of the Future check out the following resources:
Weekly Car of the Future blog post featured every Sunday on the NMA Blog.
NMA Driving News Feed – Over 50 Car of the Future stories are placed each month in the NMA Driving News—the go-to source for all your driving news information from around the country.
NMA’s Flipboard Magazine called Car of the Future – Over 50 stories are placed each month in this magazine devoted to the Car of the Future. Stories featured include future car politics, industry news and thought pieces.
Follow the National Motorists Association on Pinterest Here OR
Follow individual Boards that have a specialized focus on the Car of the Future:
If you have an interesting story about the Car of the Future, please feel free to send us a link to the NMA Email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support!