The NMA Foundation presents The Car of the Future Weekly Roundup:
In this week’s Car of the Future Weekly Roundup
–Doubts on clear path to profits—
–UK releases cybersecurity guidelines for AVs—
–Mazda, Toyota partner up on US factory—
–Uber, Lyft losing to unionization–
Click on the colored title to see the full story.
NMA Car of the Future Stories of the Week
Autonomous cars race narrows on doubts about clear path to profit
BMW and Daimler, the world’s top luxury carmakers, have announced alliances with suppliers, talking up the virtues of having a bigger pool of engineers to develop a self-driving car. But another motive behind these deals, executives and industry experts told Reuters, is a concern that robocars may not live up to the profit expectations that drove an initial investment rush. Carmakers are increasingly looking to forego outright ownership of future autonomous driving systems in favor of spreading the investment burden and risk. The trend represents a clear shift in strategy from little more than a year ago when most automakers were pursuing standalone strategies focused on tackling the engineering challenge of developing a self-driving car, rather than on the business case.
The UK government has issued new cybersecurity guidelines for smart cars
UK Transport Minister Lord Callanan says that as autonomous and connected vehicles are increasingly used on British roadways, minimum protections should be established to protect consumers from cyber-attacks, whether it’s controlling personal data, or taking control of the vehicle remotely. The goal is to provide “all parties involved in the manufacturing and supply chain … with a consistent set of guidelines.”
Latest Editorial and Opinion Pieces
- Why the Government Hates Your Car
- Why Podcars Are Not Your Answer To The Urban Traffic Mess
- Your next car will plug-in. The one after that may not exist…
- Self-driving Taxis Will Become the Most Disgusting Spaces on Earth
- Will you need a driving license in the age of self-driving cars?
This Week’s Biggest Stories
- Car Makers Teaming Up With Tech Firms on Autonomous Vehicles
- China’s Baidu to test self-driving cars in Concord, CA
- Bendix wants more discussion of automated vehicle ‘ecosystem’
- Why Battered Hertz and Avis Can Expect a Boost From Autonomous Vehicles
- Mazda to put autonomous-driving technology in all models by 2025 plus compression ignition by 2019
- The Model 3 Is Further Proof of Tesla’s Asymmetric War Against the Auto Industry
- Toyota, Mazda partner to build EVs at new $1.6 billion U.S. plant
- Toyota invests $95.4M in Preferred Networks towards self-driving tech research
Local, State, and National News
- Five actions Congress may take on self-driving cars
- Congress and Auto Industry Move to Ban Cities From Regulating Self-Driving Cars
- States Compete Fiercely to Serve as Autonomous Driving Testing Sites
- Self-Driving Cars Will Compel Changes on California Roads and Highways
- Michigan’s Kettering University joins Smart Belt Coalition for automated vehicle tech
- Ohio Is Building The World’s Longest Driverless Car Ready Highway
- Robot car revolution could usurp tens of millions of dollars from city of Austin, TX coffers
- How an Automated Car Platoon Works
- Why fear is the biggest obstacle to a future of driverless cars, and the scientists working to convince us of their possibilities
- Researchers hack a self-driving car by putting stickers on street signs
- No Cab? No Driver? No Problem.
- Driverless Trucks May Not Be Coming to Your Highway Anytime Soon
- How China’s Ride-Hailing King DiDi Is Taking Over The World Before Uber Can
- Lyft partners with Amtrak for first- and last-mile trip tie-ins
- Uber and Lyft are losing their fight against unionization
- Not fare: how Uber drivers gang up to exploit passengers
- Nobody Wants To Be Uber’s CEO
Electric, Hybrids and Other Alternatively Fueled Vehicles
- Honda will do nearly anything to get you in a Hydrogen Car
- Hawaii Breaks Ground on Fueling Station for Hydrogen-Powered Cars
- Toyota Pursues Futuristic “Hydrogen Society” Model for Decarbonization
- How to buy an electric car
- What’s the Right Electric-Car Charger for Your Home?
- Sono Motors Introduces First-Ever Production Solar Car
Flying Cars and Drones
- Amazon’s delivery drones could live on trains and ships, latest patent shows
- Lessons From the Previous Generation’s Flying Car Frenzy
- Cars are about to get into some next-level integration — by making decisions for you
- How Effective Are Pedestrian Detection Systems in Cars?
- Toyota’s Driver Assistance Technology Designed to Help, Not Overwhelm Drivers
- Toyota research center explores ‘personalized’ crash protection
- Nissan’s ProPilot Assist and the State of Autonomous Technology
* * *
The NMA Foundation is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting your interests as a motorist and citizen through the multi-faceted approach of research, education, and litigation. The Foundation is able to offer this assistance through tax-deductible contributions.
* * *
If you are interested in learning more about the Car of the Future check out the following resources:
Weekly Car of the Future blog post featured every Sunday on the NMA Blog.
NMA Driving News Feed – Over 50 Car of the Future stories are placed each month in the NMA Driving Newsâ€”the go-to source for all your driving news information from around the country.
NMA’s Flipboard Magazine called Car of the Future – Over 50 stories are placed each month in this magazine devoted to the Car of the Future. Stories featured include future car politics, industry news and thought pieces.
Follow the National Motorists Association on Pinterest Here OR
Follow individual Boards that have a specialized focus on the Car of the Future:
If you have an interesting story about the Car of the Future, please feel free to send us a link to the NMA Email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support!