By Shelia Dunn, NMA Communications Director
The Ticket Cam Alert is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. We want to bring the issues of automated traffic enforcement to our supporters. Please feel free to comment below the post.
Camera Companies Struggle for Profit during COVID-19 Crisis
Many businesses are struggling during the COVID-19 crisis, which includes automated traffic camera companies. Due to the pandemic, driving has drastically reduced around the world, coupled with school zone cameras turned off, cam companies are just not thriving. They depend on ticket volume. The pandemic doesn’t just affect these companies, though, but cities who have used tickets as a way to increase their budgets.
In our estimation, cities should never rely on automated camera money to balance their budgets. The NMA requests that motorists around the world urge their cities to turn off the cams during the crisis and keep them off afterward.
Check out the last Ticket Cam Alert USA Blog for more information.
Here are the other Top Five Ticket Cam Alert USA stories or editorials of the week:
- Canada: Winnipeg Police not enforcing school zone speed limits as classes canceled for coronavirus –Global News Canada
- France: Lockdown Profit Replaces Lost Speed Camera Cash –The Newspaper.com
- Illinois: Pandemic, Red-light Camera Corruption probes unnerving state politicians –News-Gazette
- 3 New Orleans sheriff’s investigators, commander resign amid probe (Red-light cameras are involved) –NOLA.com
- Speed camera violations skyrocket on empty New York City streets during coronavirus shutdown (video report) –Fox News NYC
NMA Resources to fight against Ticket Cams and other Street and In-Car Surveillance
NMA Issue Pages:
Check out the NMA Facebook Page called the Ticket Cam Alert USA
We are currently building a closed Facebook Group called the Ticket Cam Alert USA Discussion Group for local and state activists to have a space to discuss best practices and ask questions.
Also, here are some NMA blog posts that might be of interest!
- 10 Reasons to Oppose Red-Light Cameras
- How to fight Red-Light Cameras in Your Neck of the Woods
- Build a Ballot Petition Campaign against Red-Light Cameras
- The “Gold Standard” for Red-Light Camera Accident Analysis
- The Truth About Speed Cameras: They Don’t Work
- Ticket Cameras Create Major Due Process Concerns