Curated by Shelia Dunn, NMA Communications Director
The ATE Racket Report is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. We want to bring the issues of automated traffic enforcement to our supporters in a more coherent up-to-date fashion.
We love to hear from you about the report. Please feel free to comment below the post.
ATE Racket Report Story of the Week
“These Cameras Are Not a Safety Tool . . .”: NMA E-Newsletter #556 –This is an excellent retort to the recent AAA red light intersection crash report!
National ATE Racket Report Stories
- DMVs Across The Country Selling Your Driver’s License Data For As Little As a Penny, Making Them Millions –Why do tolerate our data to be sold?
- Red-light cameras stoke debate of safety tool or cash cow (NMA mention) –from the Washington Times.
- Google collects face data now. Here’s what it means and how to opt out –not a motorists story per se but important in the surveillance department none the less.
International ATE Racket Report Stories
This week’s International reports from The Newspaper.com:
- Argentina, France, Italy: Speed Cameras Tipped, Shot, Torched
- Irish Speed Camera Workers Strike Against Redflex
Canada: ‘I want safety on our streets’: Edmonton’s Cash Cow Group calls out photo radar use –we love this motorist activist group!
ATE Racket Report Regional and Local Stories
- Los Angeles: Neighbors are using these smart cameras to track strangers’ cars — and yours
- San Diego: Privacy concerns lead county Board of Supervisors to delay consideration of license plate reader program
- Colorado Springs PD issued 2868 red light camera citations in 4 months at the intersection of Platte and Chelton
District of Columbia
- More Parking Tickets for You in Washington D.C.? –the District will allow regular folks to ticket motorists—Yikes!
- Court rules New Orleans must refund more than $25 million red light camera tickets
- Louisiana Appeals Court Upholds Class Action Against Red Light Cameras
- Baltimore Governor’s Three Year Plan To Use Surveillance Planes To Monitor The Public
- How often do drivers illegally pass school buses in the Baltimore area? Without cameras, it’s hard to say.
- State lawmaker drafting legislation to require signs near all speed camera locations
- Move-Over Cameras May Be Next Eyes On The Road in New York
- State of Ohio AG: In New Miami speed camera lawsuit: We control our own spending
- City of Girard officials ‘not sorry’ for using speed cameras due to the revenue they give the city budget
- Pa Turnpike tests smartphone app to pay tolls (involves GPS phone tracking)
- Pittsburgh Editorial: Regulate license plate readers–Police tech is ripe for due process violations
That’s this week’s ATE Racket Report. If you want to fight automated traffic enforcement or ATE in your town, county, or state, check out these NMA resources:
Check out the NMA Facebook Page called the ATE Racket Report
We are currently building a closed Facebook Group called the ATE Racket Report Discussion Group for local and state activists to have a space to discuss best practices and ask questions.
Here are links to several NMA Issue Pages:
Also, here are a number of NMA Blogs posts that might be of interest!
- 10 Reasons to Oppose Red-Light Cameras
- How to fight Red-Light Cameras in Your Neck of the Woods
- Build a Ballot Petition Campaign against Red-Light Cameras
- The “Gold Standard” for Red-Light Camera Accident Analysis
- The Truth About Speed Cameras: They Don’t Work
- Ticket Cameras Create Major Due Process Concerns
If you have a story with a link to send the NMA or have a comment or would like to become more involved in defeating ATE in your neck of the woods, please send us an email to email@example.com.
Thank you for reading this week’s ATE Racket Report!
Be Safe Out There!
NMA Communications Director