The ATE Racket Report is a weekly feature of the NMA blog. We want to bring the issues of automated traffic enforcement to our supporters in a more coherent up-to-date fashion.
Compiled by NMA Communications Director Shelia Dunn with commentary throughout.
Headlines from August 10-16, 2019
- How facial recognition became the most feared technology in the US
- Police use of facial recognition violates privacy, leads to false arrests, critics say
- Facial recognition scanners mistook California legislators for criminals. Are you next? –Good Question? Why do we allow this tech to be used on us when all these issues have not worked out yet?
- With This Tesla Mod, You Can Spy on People and Vehicles around You –That’s all we need—cars to spy on us!
- Canada: Photo radar rules at Edmonton playground zones that don’t include schools won’t change
- Canada: City of Leduc near Edmonton New Red/Green-Light Cameras caught 500 People Per Week For These 3 Violations
- Canada: Toronto Just Issued A Record Amount Of Red-Light Camera Tickets
Seems Canada has become a hotbed of automated traffic enforcement!
District of Columbia
- Not so fast: Where DC speed, red-light cameras issue the most tickets –DC is one of the most notorious cities for automated traffic enforcement—raking in millions every year—per light sometimes!
- Five Places in Miami, Florida Where You’re Being Surveilled
- Orlando Editorial: Legislators should extend school safety measures to cameras on bus-stop arms
- Some Cobb parks may be getting license plate reader devices
- Meet the new neighborhood watch: License-plate reading cameras in Atlanta
- Roswell OKs school zone speed cameras, mailing fines to drivers
- Illinois DOT rebuffs Riverside red-light cameras
- Rosemont extends red-light camera contract for five years
BAN Red-Light Cameras in Illinois!
- Speed camera ticket errors force Cedar Rapids, IA police to step up review process –Here we go again?
- Automated License Plate Readers looking for uninsured autos in Jeff Davis Parish, Louisiana
- Traffic cameras back on in New Orleans school zones Monday
- Officials say exterior school bus cameras are a good idea, just not in Nevada –Let’s Keep automated traffic enforcement out of Nevada!
- Corvallis considering red-light cameras –Don’t Please!
- Texas Red-light camera ban also stops school bus-camera program in most areas –this is in response to the banning of Red-Light Cameras!
- Kent starts enforcing $136 red-light cam violations
- Kent’s red-light cameras catch 3867 violators during warning period
- Electronic Traffic Control Systems To Begin Issuing Citations August 19 in Pasco, WA
Washington State seems to reinforce the notion of Policing for Profit with regards to Automated Traffic Enforcement!
Thank you for reading this week’s ATE Racket Report! If you have a story link from your neck of the woods, please send the URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to post a comment below too!